You might be a racist if

So I’m sitting at a drive through window waiting for my food with the window down. I overhear two sentences of what must have been a very interesting conversation as a couple of people walk in front of my car and enter the restaurant seating area.

Woman: Can we at least agree that racism is bad?

Man: I’m not racist!

I only heard those two sentences. Nothing of what came before, and the door closed behind them after the man spoke.

It was a 20-something woman and a 50-something man, both white.

I guess I’m sharing this to find out if I’m being too judgy to just assume he categorically is a racist.

14 Likes

white cis-male, late-50s, native texan speaking here.

i have to say, if your best response to the proposition “can we at least agree that racism is bad” is to exclaim “i’m not racist!” then you, sir, are almost certainly a racist. i’m having a hard time envisioning the conversation that led up to that which could absolve him of that.

21 Likes

Just the fact that the man in your scenario couldn’t be assed to even answer what should be a very simple moral question, and instead jumps to defending himself against an unheard accusation of ‘being racist’ makes it seem like the gentleman “doth protest too much.”

21 Likes

So it’s possible that was the first part of a statement that began “I’m not racist, but…”

12 Likes

If you think you’re not racist, you’re probably a racist.

15 Likes

24 Likes

really, that’s one of those verbal tics which represent an unforced error of enormous proportions, like a goalie making an own goal while trying to throw the ball back out onto the field.

10 Likes

20 Likes

To my mind (and painting the guy in the absolute best light), he had earlier tried to justify the racist actions of others.

Me? He’s a racist.

6 Likes

There’s a gif for that! Edit: make that several!

12 Likes

Any bets that he used a “it’s just facts” racist argument previously?

8 Likes

It is much more fun to say something completely unconnected after the “I’m not racist but …”. Such as, “I’m not racist but it really is raining heavily today.”

6 Likes

Ah yes, the libertarian, “It’s not racist if it is True”

4 Likes

You are likely correct.

11 Likes

Um, fun for who?

6 Likes

I’m not a racist, but I think I’ll take lunch 15 minutes early today.

7 Likes

You might be racist if…

You grew up in a white-dominated society.

For pretty much everybody, the question is not “are they racist?”, but is instead “how racist are they, and what are they doing about that?”.

8e4bfe72c1fa1eee57610e12c0ff6a237cb820f2

Racism is not really about individual psychology. It’s about power and wealth and the fundamental structures of society.

22 Likes

Meh. Sounds to me like a white person trying to be ironic, and clever. About a phrase that involves, you know, racism. I don’t think it’s a great move to play around with the topic like that.

11 Likes

It’s just an idea to try and take away people’s expectation of respectability when saying “I’m not a racist but…”

A more direct one is just telling them that “but” negates whatever non-racist attitudes they have.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s a viable motive, but I doubt it would work in the moment, as in:

A: I’m not racist, but –

B: And I’m not racist either, but I’d really like another beer, how bout you?

It might deflate Racist A, and even derail whatever they were going to say, but I don’t think it would get them thinking about how they shouldn’t be expecting respectability after starting a sentence like that. Do you?

The initial way I read @XantheStone’s comment was a recommendation that people just say it randomly, before they say or announce whatever random thing. Which, as I said, strikes me as even worse (I can easily imagine some white dude doing that with an “Ain’t I clever?” smirk.)

7 Likes