India and Bangladesh brace for Super Cyclone Amphan, strongest storm ever in Bay of Bengal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/19/india-and-bangladesh-brace-for.html

5 Likes

I wonder if we will get to the point where we look back on storms of this magnitude with fondness because they’ve been dwarfed by the new normal?

I hope the people impacted by this manage to make it through safely. At least their governments may do something to help them afterward.

6 Likes

i have stopped feeling sorry for myself now. those poor people.

5 Likes

Damn, that’s awful.

9 Likes

+60% of Bangladesh is less than 5m above sea level. This is going to be so bad for the people there.

6 Likes

Tropical cyclones are often measured by the Saffir-Simson scale. This is sometimes used to extrapolate the Beaufort scale that traditionally stops at 12 (Hurricane) up to 16. Hang onto your hats, folks.

Maybe some popular leader should get out there, and start throwing paper towels.

1 Like

The notes about collective sheltering for 100k - 250k people hurt my heart.

5 Likes

But there are 161.4 Million people living in Bangladesh. This is going to make Puerto Rico look like a short warm summer shower.

Maybe my Impeached President will bring one of those t-shirt cannons with him if he bothers to visit the aftermath @Richard_Kirk .

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.