Indigenous Canadians sue the Canadian government over decades of secret, involuntary, inhumane medical experiments

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/11/settler-colonialism.html

5 Likes

Indigenous Canadians sue the US government over decades of secret, involuntary, inhumane medical experiments

Ok, but why would they sue the US government? Even the article mentions that the suit is against the Canadian government.

A class action lawsuit has been filed in a Canadian court on behalf of the thousands of indigenous people alleged to have been unwittingly subjected to medical experiments without their consent.

7 Likes

Blame Canada!

6 Likes

@doctorow your headline is a little off

EDIT: I see it’s been fixed

6 Likes

Shh… he is on a rant.

5 Likes

Forget it, he’s rolling.

2 Likes

I always do!

4 Likes

Similarly evil: the inhumane search for mind control techniques conducted by Donald Ewen Cameron:

During the 1950s and 1960s, Cameron became involved in what has later become known as the MKUltra mind control program, which was covertly sponsored by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and which eventually led to the publication of the KUBARK Counterintelligence Interrogation manual. Cameron’s work was funded under MKUltra’s subproject 68. He is unrelated to another CIA psychiatrist, Alan S. Cameron, who helped pioneer psychological profiling of world leaders during the 1970s and was not associated with the behavioral modification research program.

Cameron had been hoping to correct schizophrenia by erasing existing memories and reprogramming the psyche. He commuted from Albany to Montreal every week to work at McGill’s Allan Memorial Institute and was paid $69,000 from 1957 to 1964 to carry out MKUltra experiments there. In addition to LSD, he experimented with various paralytic drugs and electroconvulsive therapy at thirty to forty times the normal power. His “driving” experiments consisted of putting a subject into a drug-induced coma for weeks at a time (up to three months in one case) while playing tape loops of noise or simple statements. These experiments were typically carried out on patients who had entered the institute for minor problems such as anxiety disorders and postnatal depression; many suffered permanent debilitation after these treatments. Such consequences included incontinence, amnesia, forgetting how to talk, forgetting their parents, and thinking their interrogators were their parents.

3 Likes

Canada’a very own Holocaust

I’m not being flippant; my takeaway from this is being reminded that casual evil is the norm for humans, not the exception.

7 Likes

Hmm, perhaps they were anticipating someone looking into the US system of American Indian Boarding Schools.

It was definitely a genocide, not a ‘cultural genocide’ as they said in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. A genocide according to the UN is:

[…] any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

-Killing members of the group;
-Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
-Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
-Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
-Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Canada has done all of these things to the Native peoples.

7 Likes

doctors removed part of his right lung, according to court documents.

WWII Nazis are applauding from hell.

6 Likes

The last residential school closed in 1996, not 1986 as stated in the article.

3 Likes

last residential school closed in 1996, not 1986 as noted.

2 Likes

long after antibiotics had become the standard treatment for tuberculosis – doctors removed part of his right lung

I’m just commenting on this part.

Actually surgical interventions for tuberculosis would have been very much a still a thing during the 50’s. The first oral drug would have been discovered only three years ago in 1955. Surgery is actually on the rise again even in the West as very resistant forms of tuberculosis are becoming more common.

As I understand it, removal of a part of a lung could have been used as an adjunct to drug therapy or to remove a badly damaged part of a lung. In itself that is not a sure sign of some sort of Nazi experiments.

Edit:

You can read the full statement of claim here (bottom of page):

1 Like

My family’s from Six Nations up in Ontario (and they do in fact eh add the word “eh” randomly to every eh sentence…), and my relatives have lots of stories to tell about that kind of thing.

Its funny when every time they lose an election white liberals talk about moving to Canada. Native people are all “Uhh no thanks, I’ll pass on that offer…”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.