Ingenious DIY Etch-A-Sketch digital camera

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/18/ingenious-diy-etch-a-sketch-di.html

6 Likes

Are you kidding? My five-year-old could Etch-a-Sketch better, even before we installed a Raspberry Pi in him.

9 Likes

Wait; I remember Etch-A-Sketch as about A4/letter size.

Or was I just tiny?

2 Likes

They have various sizes. This is the “pocket” size, for etching on the go. As one does. Presumably.

4 Likes

Phew. My entire recollection of childhood was shaken.

(Not like an Etch-A-Sketch.)

6 Likes

Want to come up and see my Pi etching?

6 Likes

Shaken like a Polaroid picture?

4 Likes

clicked immediately, disappointed to see it was not a nixiebunny ( longtime BoingBoing’er who made the famous Etch-a-Sketch wristwatch ) creation.

5 Likes

just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

I should’ve gone with the Pi; all that screaming just to push a lousy Arduino into him.

3 Likes

Disagree! He absolutely learned a whole lot during this project and beefed up his skills in a number of different areas. Think about the cool stuff he might come up with next.

Have a look at this article about someone who similarly took the concept of basic digital photography (which we now all sadly take for granted) and turned it on it’s head through years of hardcore engineering and experimentation. Definitely worth it, IMHO.

4 Likes

Beatles__Ringo__Neat!

2 Likes

Well. I know everyone does the “I thought of this thing”
But I thought of this back in early siggraph days in the 80’s with edge detection algorithms etc.

However. The person should monetize this by letting people submit photos online…review and ‘okay’ the processed image… then etch sketch the image…drill a hole in back of it and remove the dust.
Then spray in a fixative to make it permanent.

Gee, guys, I dunno. Fifteen minutes to two hours seems a long time to stand still, to me.

Would that be this beauty?

About the camera, I think he should make it draw faster, like a lot faster. And it should draw the live video input, not a snapshot made and then held in memory. Yes I’m saying this project would be better if you had to stand still for 1 to 5 minutes in order to take one of these pictures :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.