Professional Etch A Sketch artist finally dismantled one

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/05/professional-etch-a-sketch-artist-finally-dismantled-one.html

5 Likes

Can I introduce you to my friend Dremel?

3 Likes

I feel like ‘professional etch-a-sketch artist’ is sort of like “professional cornhole player”.

• They probably have another job as well
  • They can drink while they work
  • Career-ending repetitive stress injuries
  • If I knew, as a kid, that you could go pro in either one, I would have spent a lot more time practicing.
6 Likes

Given the explosive properties of aluminium dust I would avoid anything that might cause a spark.

4 Likes

@pdf
Think thermite. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Suppose they set it up in advance so that the screen would be removable when the picture was done instead of saying “Hey, this one’s good! Quick, let’s see what we can do here…”

1 Like

I’m not only a professional etch a sketch artist, I’m also a professional cornhole player

You can look at her etsy page, she sells her works, and prints of her works there. That looks pretty professional to me, I guess she could very well be able to make a living from her art.

3 Likes

I believe power tools are a no-go because the vibrations de-etch the sketch.

2 Likes

Yup. From her Etsy bio…

In 2013, I graduated from art school with a BFA in Illustration. Now I make a living selling art created on an Etch A Sketch!

3 Likes

I guess that sawing the thing open with an exacto saw will also produce plenty of vibrations. A dremel with the right tool (maybe a diamond coated cutting wheel will produce less vibration. And a long flexible shaft will most likely eliminate the risk of a spark from the motor.

2 Likes

Why not just pop the screen first, then do the drawing, then remove the screen entirely? Assuming the method for popping the screen won’t cause a metal fire, that’s what I’d try.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.