$20 for a 349-piece kit of tools for Dremels (and Dremel clones)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/20-for-a-349-piece-kit-of-too.html

4 Likes

It’s got everything you need to gouge, mar, and otherwise fuck-up the surface of any part you are working on.

Ah, I see you have used this product before.

12 Likes

Does it have that attachment that tosses the workpiece across the room? That’s my fave.

12 Likes

An accurate description of dremmels and the like. That being said they can be pretty handy, as long as you’re aware that you’re irrevocably fucking something up on purpose. Sometimes i do need to do just that.

4 Likes

Last time I used one was to remove a screwed up crush washer. I only just barely nicked the barrel it was attached to.

1 Like

It either fails completely or you get catastrophic success

5 Likes

Got a new crush washer and everything worked out fine in the end. A little sharpie coveres up the nick.

1 Like

I made a custom Harry Potter wand with some sand paper and a dremmel. I never did finish it, need to find out if i still have it but it was fun and using the dremmel to quickly carve out what i wanted was pretty handy. The fine work was done by hand or with other tools.

2 Likes

$20 may be worth it just for that nice case. Dremel bits and bobs I have, but organizing them, that’s priceless!
@frauenfelder I’m seeing $26.97 now, not the $20 mentioned.

1 Like

Twenty Dollar? Me no hollar! Dremel your way into the next ice age…

1 Like

Dammit! I just bought the Wen per your recommendation!

Does not just fuck up parts! If used properly it can also send a shard of cutting disk rocketing through your facial flesh, causing permanent disfigurement!

5 Likes

Just be sure to engage your safety squints and stop being a weenie :wink:

4 Likes

Apply the coupon and it’s under $20.

1 Like

OH wait, oh wait. I just remembered an epic tale.

Many years ago on forum I used to frequent, someone posted an AR15 barrel that they fluted using a dremel. Done right, barrel fluting will lighten a barrel while keeping it structurally sound. Done wrong, and it will be slightly less worse than your gif.

This guy posted his “handy” work and the forum lost it’s collective shit. Eventually he was convinced this was a really bad idea, and someone sold him an old stock barrel very cheaply for him to swap out.

Googling around I found one of the images. It has been reposted across many other sites.

And the stories I could tell from being an Amateur air smith. Dremels will chew up aluminum like nobody’s business.

1 Like

Do’ah! (added to get rid of the silly warning)

there are some very handy and quality bits for sculpting available for these types of tools. diamond bits for glass, circular saw blades for cutting, tungsten carbide burs for metal and wood. i prefer to use a hanging model with a very flexible wand attachment and a high rate of variability in speed.

am i the only one who is envious of the dentists toolset? :blush:

these sets are tempting but they never include more than a few basic burs, a few grindstones, and a ton of buffing and sanding crap-cessories, all of which are usually sub par quality for actual work but probably fine for the occasional hobby reach.

I understand what you mean by tons of crap sanding (and cutting) pieces, but when you run into a project where you go through them by the dozens… :slight_smile:

You might want to look for all grinding kits. I have a few that I’ve picked up over the years–mostly diamond. They’re those kinds of things you find yourself going back to over and over.

1 Like

It is telling me that the discount code has expired!

1 Like

Does this one have the root canal bit?

Lordy, I need the root canal bit.

1 Like

The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase. :roll_eyes:

1 Like