Ingesting pure caffeine powder maybe not as great an idea as it seems, says FDA

One definition of wisdom is the ability to learn from the mistakes of others. I think I will be wise in this regard.

Now, if only I could stop making so many mistakes that allow others to be wise…

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s the logo of the seller, Dual Health. Their site is heavily “better boners”-themed, but the caffeine specifically is actually being pushed as a “weight loss fat burner.”

It’s not too hard to wrangle a legit prescription, or you can get it online from grey-market offshore pharmacies. You’ll want to do your homework first and make sure it’s the genuine stuff, though.

Uh, or so I’m told.

Oh how we all mocked that Saved By The Bell episode (j/k I didn’t see the episode but I heard people mocking it).

I take BC powder some times. I don’t know what all is in it but a lot of it is caffeine. It doesn’t taste that bad. Ok, it does.

♪ Tell your headache to “Take a powder!” ♫
♫ Tell your headache to take BC! ♪

I don’t know how helpful or accurate this information is, but this site seems to get linked a lot:

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/caffeine/

Don’t you have a scale?

In some parts of Happy Mutant Land, sadly, possession of a milligram sensitive scale would be prima facie evidence of activity in the drug trade.

1 Like

It’s almost like plants evolved caffeine production to discourage consumption…

(yeah, I get that we consume nicotine, various plant alkaloids, and other “toxic” compounds regularly as well, but…)

Yeah, when I bought a couple of extremely sensitive scales for use with precious metals/jewelry, the Amazon suggestions were interesting to say the least.

I remember that empty gelcaps was one suggestion…

1 Like

I have never been to Bolivia, but I knew a fellow who traveled there.

He said he was miserable with altitude sickness until he finally gave in and chewed some of the leaves that were ubiquitously available on every table in every restaurant at which he dined.

It wasn’t so much getting high for him (not his personality type) as simple relief from symptoms that were otherwise going to ruin his vacation.

A couple of leaves at breakfast and one with every other meal, and he was right as rain :wink:

1 Like

I love this stuff. I bought 100 grams months ago for about $10 and it isn’t half gone yet. I make batches of 10 grams of caffeine mixed into one litre of water and I put about 2 teaspoons of that solution into a morning beverage to get about 100 mg caffeine (about a unit of coffee). Lately I’ve been putting it in a tall glass of ice water. It’s healthy and crazy inexpensive and it helps me get through my sleep inertia.

That said, I’m glad I knew enough to research correct drug dosage before messing with pure caffeine. That little packet of white powder is the scariest thing in my kitchen.

2 Likes

my understanding is that without the heavy processing and concentration inherent in the production of the “refined form”, those leaves are merely a fairly hearty stimulant (not unlike caffeine or betel nut etc…)

2 Likes

As scary as the contents of a (formerly) empty mayonnaise jar?

For real tho. I’d rather take a mind shattering amount of LSD than a heart stopping amount of caffeine.

4 Likes

I am with you there!

And here also, no question!

For the record, Morning Glory seeds have potential…

You know, anything that causes anxiety, diarrhea, vomiting, all the while causing hallucinations doesn’t sound too fun… Can’t imagine that I’d be seeing anything all too great while anxious with various fluids jetting out of both ends.

1 Like

Getting on a first name basis with God (Odin, Zeus, Yahweh, FSM, et al.) doesn’t necessarily come easy. Even the reindeer know that :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess one of the moral of this story is that if you choose, use mind altering chemicals to increase productivity, spark creativity, or simply to get groovy, but be prepared for quick and harsh answers to all of your questions if you take too much. This ride will come to a very sudden and lurching halt, and the technicians, although usually committed, aren’t usually very keen on bringing back from the edge, those that keep themselves dangling on the edges of molecular destruction in the name of expanding ones own consciousness.

It’s a pretty weird scene.

1 Like