Insane mudslide caught on video in Switzerland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/10/insane-mudslide-caught-on-vide.html

9 Likes

Everything looks so clean and tidy… except for the rampaging mud monster, of course.

11 Likes

Am I the only one who got an ad for Taco Bell before this video?

11 Likes

Yeeeeuh! :nauseated_face:

What is it about Swiss location names that they all sound like delicious cheese,
Try the Grugnay or if you want something a bit runny the Chamoson,is a great choice

2 Likes
4 Likes

I’m kinda surprised Hollywood hasn’t used German mudslides as material for a disaster film.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Germans already corner the “mudslide…disaster film” genre.

1 Like

Well at least they had a convenient channel all set up for it. Probably not their first mudslide.

3 Likes

For everyone who takes vertical videos, I’d just like to know why you bother to do so. You obviously hate your subject matter – you’re cutting off at least 2/3rds of it. Or is it that you hate the potential audience for your video? You’re frustrating the hell out of us by leaving out the important parts of the scene (that that post-processing to mirror a blurry version of the action on both sides in full-screen mode just doesn’t help).

If the reason is that you suffer from some sort of impaired manual dexterity that prevents you from turning your phone sideways to get the entire image, I sincerely apologize. If you suffer from some sort of impaired mental dexterity that makes you careless, unempathetic, or just generally clueless… I don’t have quite so much of an apology.

3 Likes

Probably not, but I’m sure the snow melt would get rather big at times.

I’m guessing it’s the same reason we have portrait mode in photography. That’s just the way the subject best fits the frame. If you were watching the video on a phone like a normal person, you wouldn’t have to ask - (friendly snark, I don’t use a cell-phone).

3 Likes

I theorize it’s probably easier to hold the phone in portrait orientation. You can maintain a tighter grip, whereas in landscape you’ve got to loosen your grip in order to view the screen. I could be wrong. Maybe ordinary people just aren’t meant to be cinematic geniuses.

1 Like

Presumably because they were recording something they saw as fitting portrait mode, like any photographer. It was a creative decision, which you may disagree with in this particular instance, but it is not a universal law that everything must be recorded in landscape format. In what way would the vertical eruption of mud at 0:33 onwards been better served by a landscape picture? Wouldn’t that have wasted two-thirds of the image horizontally, and missed the top or bottom of the eruption vertically?

Bearing in mind that the pixel resolution of portrait format video is always cut down by Youtube to fit their landscape-formatted box on their standard page, the question in my mind is why they don’t allow portrait format to be displayed at full resolution. Pages on the web are made to be flexible, so why do Youtube and others voluntarily restrict their format in this way?

2 Likes

Those Swiss really know how to mud slide.

2 Likes

The hills are alive?

4 Likes

Schlitterbahn!

3 Likes

gesundheit / god zun height!

1 Like

It’s even worse then, I turn the phone sideways to watch!

3 Likes

Both.
The meltwater and the mudslides (and the proverbial torrential rain) usually come down the slopes more or less in the same places.
Cleaning up is a bitch, that mud is like concrete.