Inside a crew cabin in cargo ship swaying during rough seas

Ah! Thx!

Shared cabins have bunk-beds. Thank god, sailors don’t use the same bed anymore…
Description of the video says it is on a cargo ship so it means that the “bridge castle” is high and mostly empty and that the crew is small. Thus making it possible to have big cabins for everyone.

4 Likes

Likely an officer anyway. That is comparable to a couple of cabins I had in officers quarters, though the stuff wasnt as nice (early 90`s Polish ships).

1 Like

The mystery is solved!

1 Like

I was actually impressed by the amount of space he had.

1 Like

At least you knew where to get a screwdriver from if needed!

1 Like

Those are the most expensive shims I’ve ever seen!

7 Likes

This guy definitely set things up for maximum slidage for the camera initially.

Or at least I hope he did. If he didn’t he has zero business being at sea.

2 Likes

I went on a cruise to the Caribbean awhile back, and considering the size of the cabin I got, that room is positively palatial. My feeling was, why pay for a huge room, when all I’ll be doing is sleeping there. Well, I’ve been in airplane toilets bigger than the room I ended up with.

2 Likes

Hey. Engineer666…

…SSSQUUUUUEEEEAAAK!!!

real ghost caught on tape

:open_mouth:

Not sure about the ghost, but are those bare legs in the left foreground?

1 Like

It depends on the Ship. The ones I have primarily worked on are all done in Danish modern. And stuff flying around is a sign of poor preparedness.

I have never seen that in practice. Even when I worked on crappy tugboats and sailing ships, everyone had their own bunk. On modern cargo ships, everyone has their own room. Senior officers get a suite. I always get an office, a dayroom with couches and chairs, a bedroom with a queen bed, and a bathroom. But our ships are unusually nice. I will look for some pics.
Updated- I have hundreds of pics on deck and the interesting places on the ships, but the only pic of my stateroom I can find is one I apparently took by accident. It is a horrible image, but you can see from the office into the dayroom and the bedroom beyond. bonus weird African instrument on the wall.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what’s going on there, now that you mention it.

EDIT:

Okay, I know now, thanks to a Google image search.

I have so many more questions now!

Especially considering what Sailors get up to in their racks between watches.

Edit: This is what my berthing looked like aboard US Navy Destroyers. This isn’t my actual berthing, just an image grabbed from the web. One thing which the picture does not show is that there are identical racks on the other side of the bulkhead, which is just a thin sheet of metal separating your body from your Shipmate’s. That cool metal would get suddenly warm, letting you know your ass was millimeters away from another guy’s ass. The best of times.

7 Likes

When seasoned actors still don’t realize it would look more realistic if they swayed together and in the same direction.

3 Likes

I thought it looked big too. It’s about the size of room I had when I was a paying customer on a cruise ship. I bet he didn’t get a balcony though.

I paid extra for a balcony on the cruise I went on and thank dog I did. I couldn’t imagine being in one of the windowless rooms.