Inside a Japanese micro apartment — could you live in 90 Sq Ft?

Having the toilet in the same room I sleep and cook in - that’s a hard no

0.4024 NanoWales. Almost exactly half the size of my office. A bit smaller in volume. Cozy.

4 Likes

It isn’t, someone has photoshopped for more views (by people who are horrified by toilets).

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 07.35.56

5 Likes

After having been exposed to a picture of the person in the apartment, I have to ask, “Where does he have room for his Bitcoin mining rig in this tiny apartment?”

2 Likes

It happens more than you would think, but it’s often for work (a lot of companies like to shuffle people between HQ and the branches/factories every few years), so the employer picks up most of those costs.

3 Likes

Clue is in the name.
Cash uses cash.

For someone whose gig is looking at small living areas he seems remarkably incurious. Did he consider the bed might have storage space built-in or underneath? There is space under the sofa, and a big storage space in the unused loft/bed area, at least poke your selfie stick up there to see what is up there.

2 Likes

I think you need to live there a month to properly appreciate the ins & outs, not simply an overnight stay when you’re always thinking “I’ll be somewhere else tomorrow”.

Also doesn’t feel like a regular long-term flat if you’re renting it by the night. It’s some kind of quick layover for travelling, stay a short while & move on.

1 Like

That seemed quite small for $1200 a month, but then I remember that the last time I paid $1200 a month was a decade ago and 17 miles from the nearest city, so …

Osaka is the same size as Los Angeles, but it’s really not that expensive. You* can find a place near the city center with 20 square meters (which is still tiny, but not quite as ridiculous) for half that.

*If you can find a landlord willing to rent to a foreigner. Renter discrimination is pretty rampant as well.

2 Likes

Ah, so the toilet is in the little microbath in the UL corner? That makes more sense. So it’s actually more like your typical Japanese business hotel, just with a micro kitchen added as well. I guess you could live in it, but I wouldn’t want to. Still, I’ve seen even smaller Japanese apartments with communal bathrooms/showers, an even bigger ‘nope’ from me.

1 Like

There’s a 5 storey heritage apartment buiding next door to my office in downtown Vancouver that was renovated about 15 years ago. The corner units nearest me are 307 square feet and probably rent for $1500 CDN.

Um, have you checked? I hope you’re right, but CBC just did a story about a 250 sq ft place downtown going for $3500.

Vancouver remains one of the most expensive cities in the world, unfortunately. Our Trump-free version of California is getting more popular all the time. That’s okay, we need the people. Come on in, America Friends. BC is beautiful- it says so right on the plates!

No, no. There’s enough people here. It’s actually quite unpleasant and the mosquitos will carry you away if you stay outside too long. Definitely not one of the most beautiful places around.

2 Likes

A friend’s daughter just moved to San Diego and her place sounds sweet. It’s a really small apartment, though a bit larger than the one shown here, but the building has common spaces that make the experience seem less limited.
There’s a common kitchen/dining area for when you want to have more than one person over for dinner, ample patios with seating, a co-working space with all kinds of nooks. Sounds pretty nice. I hope more places might explore this approach with new housing. It reminds me of a lot of a common approach in eco-housing and eco-village designs.

1 Like

The last RV we had was about 250 sq ft of living space. That had a small bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room. So if you had that space and general layout, in 500 sq ft you could have a 2 bedroom (small bedrooms albeit with lots of cabinets) with a large bathroom, large kitchen, and large living room. It would be very liveable.

We also stayed in a hotel in Bois, France, with a very small room but it worked great even for two. And the night before we’d seen the opposite, with a room about the same size but set up so badly I couldn’t leave both our suitcases in the room overnight.

2 Likes

Haha, I hear you, but have you tried to hire a contractor or get a table waited lately? Canada desperately needs more people.

For those of you stumped like I was, it’s only 8.36m2. Which is small, as I live in 90m2. Which, granted, ist more than I need, as the 2nd bedroom is my home office when I don’t have visitors. But yeah. it’s Apollo command module size.

1 Like

Fun video. Even though my apartment when I lived in Japan was quite a bit bigger, there are lots of things that looked familiar. One thing I remember is that things are just not built for tall people, especially in micro apartments. I’m tall, but not obscenely so (6’2", or 185 cm). I had to bend down in doorways, or else bump my head. I had to use the sinks on my knees, or else bend over in a very awkward way. I’m sure my knees would have stuck out of the bathroom when sitting on the toilet. That said, as a single person in my 20s, I could have survived here.

1 Like

Yep, my wife and I live in a 224 sq ft travel trailer with our cat and dog (downsized from a ~1800sq ft house). It can definitely be done very comfortably. It does take some getting used to and learning how to use the space in a way that works for you, so I imagine the first few days or weeks in 90 sq ft would be hard. Also, with an RV you usually have easy access to outdoor space.

Last I read there are about 1 million American full-time RVers.

2 Likes

Pretty sure my barracks room in Friedberg was about this size. And a communal bathroom!

3 Likes