Inside an incredible "prop library" of vintage electronics and obsolete consumer tech

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/inside-an-incredible-prop-li.html

4 Likes

13 Likes

I saw a Kaypro II in there!

2 Likes

Is that… Jibo, the social robot???

… No, just another rotary phone.

Their rental agreement is too lenient given my experiences with Prop Rental.

One Prop House I dealt with (run by a friend) had a a clause that stated if the item was lost or just not returned, the fee would be 300% of the current replacement cost (as stated in their books) or 300% of market value, whichever was HIGHER.

This still did not deter people or their clients from simply not returning things they “wanted” as another entity usually ended up paying for it anyways.

6 Likes

Somebody’s been sneaking into my basement again…

6 Likes

Do they accept donations? Asking for a friend. :wink:

6 Likes

I lived for several years on the street where this warehouse is located (President St. in Gowanus) I really enjoyed walking across the street with my old ink jet printers or whatever junk I needed to get rid of, just so I could spend some time poking around in there checking stuff out.

3 Likes

Looks like my house.

8 Likes

Looks like the late lamented Weird Stuff Warehouse or the still-extant Computer History Museum.

2 Likes

Are you my father-in-law in disguise? Because his basement is a lot like this, but with a lot more smell of soldering.

1 Like

Or, if you are hunting for props in Toronto, it’s A1 Parts in Etobicoke, provided the latest episode of your favourite TO-produced cyber-punk series hasn’t cleaned him out.

Browsing there gives me a feeling that must be like what my wife experiences in antique markets… :slightly_smiling_face: He carries lots of useful new parts too… I’m a fan of the place…

1 Like

I prefer the old analogue o-scopes. I don’t think they’re obsolete at all.

2 Likes

This place is GREAT. The people who work there are always happy to talk and the front area has more recent electronics for sale. If you need cheap audio gear, a Sega Genesis, or some random cabling it’s a great place to pop your head into. Meanwhile it’s where I’ve dropped off more old electronics and batteries than I canout.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.