Inside the Federal Bureau Of Way Too Many Guns

I just leave this here.

There's no telling how many guns we have in America—and when one gets used in a crime, no way for the cops to connect it to its owner. The only place the police can turn for help is a Kafkaesque agency in West Virginia, where, thanks to the gun lobby, computers are illegal and detective work is absurdly antiquated. On purpose. Thing is, the geniuses who work there are quietly inventing ways to do the impossible.

Only the blurb, full article here.

US gun policies never stop to amaze me, it’s like observing a horrible crash - it is impossible not to stare.

10 Likes

Meanwhile, Canada knows where the guns used in crimes in Canada come from: America.

http://www.latitudenews.com/story/american-guns-fuel-violence-in-canada/

7 Likes

That is, hands down, the most GQ masthead image I’ve ever seen on an article about a hamstrung bureaucracy.

[ETA serious comment]

I get e-mails even from police saying, ‘Can you type in the serial number and tell me who the gun is registered to?’ Every week. They think it’s like a VIN number on a car. Even police. Police from everywhere. ‘Hey, can you guys hurry up and type that number in?’

I would applaud the police on this bit of thinking, except that police are notoriously strong supporters of the NRA, and opponents of sensible gun policy…

4 Likes

I sent an email to my Rep on lunch break. I recommend everyone does the same.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 169 days. New replies are no longer allowed.