Boebert: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. "In Western Colorado, we call that a fun weekend"

Originally published at: Boebert: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. "In Western Colorado, we call that a fun weekend" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Technically the full name of the agency is now “The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives” because this is America and people love combining all those things in creative new ways.

17 Likes

she’s not wrong – in Western CO, i’m sure they do consider that a fun weekend. the thing is, the eastern side of the rockies has much better things to do.

8 Likes

Vice industries are the scraps of dark money.

1 Like

“Vice industries are the scraps of dark money”

And so say these right wing nut jobs- Thanks Second Amendment!

2 Likes

This got me curious about how many federal law enforcement agencies there are, in addition to ATF and the FBI. Holy crap, there’s a crap-ton of federal law enforcement agencies. I mean, I knew about agencies like NCIS from the tv show, but damn. Even the National Institutes of Health has their own police department. The Government Publishing Office has their own police department. Now…I assume some of these are really just glorified building security guards, but come on…this is ridiculous. We really have become a police state.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the FDA inspectors auditing drug manufacturers are (armed!) federal law enforcement agents.

1 Like

Yeah that would probably be this group, which is included in the list I linked to in my comment. Crazy. Now I kinds of want that as a new spin-off of NCIS. It could spawn a whole new franchise. OCI, OCI: Hamburger Division, OCI: Designer Drugs, and the newest, most exciting addition to the OCI family, OCI: OTC.

6 Likes

I look forward to OCI:Homeopathy. Fans say it’s the best of the shows but critics think it’s just too watered down.

10 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF

2 Likes

So basically the plot behind Crank 2: High Voltage

Not surprised at all. I live within walking distance of three hospitals. They all have their own police, with branded patrol SUVs and everything. Why they need vehicles for places no bigger than a city block is beyond me. To get from point A to point B there’s absolutely no faster method than walking (or running if cops do that anymore). Same with most schools, maybe not most universities, but still, you nailed it: police state.

1 Like

It depends. Typically Federal Government investigators are not armed, UNLESS they are there because of a criminal investigation.

So my ex-Wife was in the Department of Labor. She investigated things like pension and retirement fraud (companies not putting in or mismanaging retirement funds) or health care plan fraud (you go in for heart surgery, only to find out your employer wasn’t putting into the health insurance and now you owe the full amount).

A lot of times it was ignorance, laziness, sloppy accounting, or strapped for cash and not putting in on time. Sometimes, though, it is criminal with the owner(s) embezzling funds. A person going on site for something like that, or to serve a warrant to search their records, or issue a subpoena would be handled by a different branch of investigators who would be armed while on site.

I believe that is how other gov departments are, like the FDA, IRS, etc. The vast majority, however, are not armed (hence the whole 87,000 armed IRS agents is BS.)

3 Likes

Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

3 Likes

America is shockingly over-policed. There’s like 30 layers of law enforcement before you even get down to the normal city cops that every other country has.

I’m curious what European countries have (please weigh in, Euroboingers). Canada has basically two- city police in larger cities, and the RCMP for everything else. There are a couple of Sheriffs in some provinces and I think Ontario weirdly has a provincial police force for some reason, but basically it’s city cops and RCMP. It works just fine. In fact I’d argue it’s way more efficient because you don’t have ten different agencies getting into turf wars and withholding information for major crimes.

I don’t understand why America needs so many police. County sheriffs, city police, state police, mall police, campus police, postal police (yes America has mail cops), highway patrol, dozens of federal agencies… it goes on and on.

2 Likes

Gotta keep the prisons and jails filled. It’s the only place slavery is still legal. (I would put a /s on this comment, except it’s at least 90% accurate)

3 Likes

It did! We had the Ontario Provincial Police (it’s still around, but I’m not in Ontario anymore). It made the Naughty by Nature song “OPP” particularly fun in the early 90s.

1 Like

Quebec has a provincial police force too; Surete du Quebec.

The Sûreté du Québec was created in 1870. It is the only Québec police organization to have jurisdiction over all of Québec and to carry out such a wide variety of mandates. It operates at all levels and in all sectors of public security, including police activities in the municipalities it serves, road safety interventions and local and international criminal investigations. As a national police force providing services to citizens, other police organizations and the State, the Sûreté du Québec is also a leader in specialized service delivery, especially in terms of criminal investigations and emergency measures, thanks to the expertise of its police and civilian personnel and to its use of advanced technologies.

Newfoundland and Labrador as well.

1 Like

She’s not as clever or noteworthy as she thinks, I’ve been hearing that joke for as long as I can remember.
Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 8.10.52 AM

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.