Unidentified federal forces enter Portland, pull protestors into unmarked vans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/unidentified-federal-forces-en.html

9 Likes

Sure sounds like kidnapping to me. What happens when Portland police see one of these grabs?

50 Likes
37 Likes

So, anyone in a uniform can come and grab people from the streets without identification or saying a word? Seems like an easy way to kidnap people while everyone just watches and films.
What if these were officials from a foreign country? Would we still keep our arms crossed?

51 Likes

Turn off their bodycams, most likely.

61 Likes

That can’t happen here.

…and other fairy tails from my 9th grade Civics class.

43 Likes

This is really scary! How long before some local militarized “militias” get the idea this is tolerated and start “disappearing” a few people they don’t like?

46 Likes

A lot of trash takes to this in the replies to BoingBoing’s tweet about this

8 Likes

We all knew this was coming from the regime. It’s still terrifying.

The moment has come for Portland’s and Oregon’s officials to choose sides. Oppose fascism or enable it: your choice.

37 Likes

Trump has been handling protests the same way he has handled the pandemic. Say all the wrong things, make matters worse and actively undermine effective methods of dealing with the problem.

Oregon Governor Kate Brown also called for federal law enforcement officers to leave Portland. She claimed that Wolf is on a “mission to provoke confrontation for political purposes”. “This political theater from President Trump has nothing to do with public safety. The President is failing to lead this nation. Now he is deploying federal officers to patrol the streets of Portland in a blatant abuse of power by the federal government,

41 Likes

It was starting off to be a lovely morning. Thanks loads, Rob.

17 Likes

No ID, unmarked vehicles, the usual gang-sign clothing …
What makes you think it isn’t happening already?

39 Likes

Yeah, for me it was only after I realized Rob’s header was federal forces not feral forces.

7 Likes

I was more fortunate in that. My HS civics was taught by the late Bob Finkbine (his then-wife Sherri has a wiki page) and he showed us the cracks in the US government where the whole thing could be broken with a good whack.

This was in 1968, so we already had plenty of reason to question the “smile, it’s all good” version of America that others before, during, and after that period received.

16 Likes

Followed by grabbing more protesters in support of the Feds, without being asked, because they want to prove their worth to do what these guys do.

6 Likes

They are not US Military forces, that is all I can say.

5 Likes

Even scarier: What if these were militia members?

6 Likes

Americans waging war on Americans.
Every one of those uniformed gun toting thugs is absolutely complicit. There’s no excuse for those bastards to be out there busting heads and shooting people, unless they want to.
Drop your freaking weapon, take off your freaking uniform.
Just following orders?
Bonus Army?
Kent State?
Bastards…

26 Likes

Hopefully one of you internet sleuths can grab the license plate from the the video? Would at least be a start.

5 Likes

It’s all fine and dandy until they come for you.

4 Likes