Unidentified federal forces enter Portland, pull protestors into unmarked vans

My wife and I both had the same idea: they’re pedo vans! Report them as kidnapping kids and watch the fun!

Sigh… this world sucks right now. Folks can’t turn to the locals to help, they’re in on the fix. The local cops are probably loving the irony right now.

18 Likes

Homeland Security apparently. Not that they are making us more secure of course.

4 Likes

This is clearly authoritarian crap. On the other hand, re: “lack of mainstream media coverage.” I heard about this via a Facebook link to an OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) story and followed up with a Google search that had local-outlet and Newsweek coverage. I recall that there were also national stories behind paywalls–Washington Post, I think. Today there are plenty more from a range of national and international outlets.

It doesn’t help to make the story seem worse than it is with sloppy wording.

11 Likes

Well at least the US Government has the style sense to use black vans over our gouache Comrades:

ETA looks like the vans were actually gray (it was dark): https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/status/1283605418883899397

9 Likes
12 Likes

Other than the Coast Guard and maybe a few alphabet Defense agencies, they’re civilian forces operating under civil law.

16 Likes

Defund DHS. But we already knew that back when it was created.

29 Likes

“Chad Wolf said state and city authorities are to blame for not putting an end to the protests”

Wow. How come Obama didn’t think of this when the Tea Party protests were going on? Sweet deal-- you don’t like the protests, you just put an end to them with military force. Genius.

/s

31 Likes

Charge them, arrest them, indict them and try them. Kidnapping and war crimes. This is unlawful and unconstitutional. Portland and Seattle, you have failed your city time and time again.

19 Likes

This is important, this is a well-written article, and I want to share it. But I see EIGHT ads by Redbubble, all for a “Trump made me want to be a Canadian” t-shirt. While the ad is spot on, if I post this page to social media, any pro-Trump readers will laugh me off the platform for posting something from what they perceive as such an obviously biased source.

And with approximately 16 different ads on every page, just trying to load and read someting on the BoingBoing website is tiring.

I know this thread isn’t this right place for this rant, but I did look around on the BBS and it looks like it just has a thread for each post. I’ve been a loyal BoingBoing-er since at least 2005 and I’ve even bought some stuff from the shop. I know it’s hard being a media source these days. But the ads on the website have just gotten out of hand. If you offered a subscription model. I’d pay.

14 Likes

Exactly this. Trump wants violence.

30 Likes

Probably curse themselves for not having a CV and list of references handy.

15 Likes

100% of what I immediately was reminded of. When cops started covering their badge numbers I knew it was only a matter of time until we’d eventually get to these types of goons.

19 Likes

I think everyone is jumping the gun here a little bit. When has it ever been a problem for a government to use unidentified, unaccountable law enforcement (that’s a mouthful, let’s call them…“secret police”?..sounds cooler) in to pull people off the street? It’s a proud tradition!

9 Likes

Hrmmmmm… this is unsettling…

In other news, the feds are sending a bunch of people here to KC. The Mayor wrote the governor for help with our murder spike, and that got back to the feds somehow and they are sending people over.

Our BLM protests have been very tame compared to much of the nation. Not perfect, but both sides have been doing a mostly good job of not provoking the other. I do not expect these feds to be part of that policing. They aren’t supposed to be on patrol either. They are supposed to be more manpower for the murder investigations. I suppose if their role is strictly limited to that, it will be ok.

If they try shit like what is going on in Portland… I dunno what will happen, but I expect Mayor Lucas will raise a ruckus. He seems like a genuinely “trying to do the right thing” Mayor.

3 Likes

A good point. You could share the linked sources for the article.

10 Likes

"Each night, lawless anarchists destroy and desecrate property, including the federal courthouse,

Interesting word choice.

27 Likes

Sounds like a mayor who may have a date with some thugs in an unmarked van.

10 Likes

Good luck with that.

11 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like even without the ads, those people wouldn’t take one look at BB and call it a hotbed of “cultural marxism”.

We have a reputation.

16 Likes