Instagram wannabes posting fake ads, pretending to have sponsorship deals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/instagram-wannabes-posting-fak.html

3 Likes

Digital cargo cult?

6 Likes

This post brought to you by Pan Am , America’s Airline To The World.

14 Likes

It’s like how other kinds of wannabes (businesspeople, actors) used to pretend they had to take this very important phone call from [insert name of powerful important person]. Sure, it was rude as hell when they’d interrupt you to pull that shtick, but the aura of being close to money and power was supposed to make up for it.

5 Likes

Pan Am is back, in railway form. (not a joke)

3 Likes

I can’t really judge someone who wants to be a social media influencer going to these pathetic lengths to establish themselves. I will, on the other hand, judge anyone over age 18 who thinks “social media influencer” is a worthy career goal in and of itself.

12 Likes

Did i mention that I’m a brand ambassador for Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards?

12 Likes

To me its akin to wanting to be famous for the sake of being famous, or perhaps a desire to earn what they perceive to be easy money and attention. I certainly have no interest in such things but i do appreciate anyone making a living that is hustling and finding success, what i do disapprove of is people wanting to seek these careers with no actual goal in mind. Success without substance seems very draining to me.

8 Likes

Actually, I can remember brands buying teens to run around and tout their street cred like ten years ago. I can see where this might make a kid feel cool, and might even impress their putative friends. Facebook just lets you do it in your jammies.

1 Like

Influenza?

5 Likes

Wah, it’s freight!

1 Like

Have we finally reached Peak Attention Seeking, yet?

2 Likes

“Is that bad?”

1 Like

Interesting- the railway actually does own the IP and naming rights, if Wikipedia is correct.

I think it is more akin to mimicry seen in carnivorous plants. They hope to resemble a successful influencer in hopes of luring in both unsavvy ad buyers and viewers.

4 Likes

I am writing this comment wearing my new Allbirds sneakers. Fab!

1 Like

I am ashamed to admit that I did several applications for advertising on my car, back in the day before social media, when that was the most cutting edge way to shill for advertisers. It was right around the time that data harvesters started realizing that putting up applications for advertising on cars was a great way to get lots of free demographic data.

I haven’t heard much about this angle with the social media influencer market yet… there must be thousands of people who give away all their demographic info applying to get sponsored for every one who actually gets sponsored.

1 Like

5 Likes

Yeah, I wonder how much of it is that (and not so different from buying fake followers), and how much is just a faked indicator of “success” for its own sake.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.