Russian influencer deported from Bali for "mask prank"

Originally published at: Russian influencer deported from Bali for "mask prank" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Good.

24 Likes

I starting to question why just anyone with a bunch of followers on social media is described as an “influencer”. Is this really what they are? I suppose everyone is an influencer in some sense since we are all watching each other with every engagement. But I am struggling with what to call dumb asses who just have more amplified voices than everyone else.

11 Likes

It’s easier to say “influencer” than “talentless-shallow-person-who-is-popular”.

36 Likes

I always interpreted “influencer” as someone good enough at the formats of social media that they can make a living off of the ad $$ and patreon.

That, or someone who can “influence” their parents to fund their life into their mid-20s. That also takes skills.

13 Likes

iT loOks So reAL!!

So real, with the lips and nostrils and open mouth and the fact we can clearly see what you look like. Other than that :+1:

(Confession: I’m a pig and likely would have been distracted by her prominent, shapely breasts.)

(On reflection: Nah. I’m a pig, but I’m not stupid.)

1 Like

Yikes. The reverse of this (those masks that have faces printed on them, so it looks like you aren’t wearing a mask when you actually are) seems a bit dickish, but this isn’t remotely acceptable.

5 Likes

I don’t have a mask, but do have a whole lot of blue makeup in the car. Give me a break. Good riddance. Bali doesn’t need another attention-whoring influencer.

5 Likes

It’s telling that they are always in the camera viewport as she walks around.

3 Likes

We used to call them attention seekers. Let’s start doing that again.

16 Likes

Depends how easily influenced their followers are. From what I’ve seen of people who care about this sort of thing, I think the answer is “very”.

1 Like

Stupid has a long and storied history, add this one to it.

10 Likes

Asshole (2)

19 Likes

Yep. Then there are the “influencers” who are directly paid to shlock products…

… apparently a recognized marketing tool:

https://www.veem.com/library/paying-social-media-influencers-a-guide-for-businesses/

1 Like

Apologies from an influencer should really help someone who’s been infected by covid, or by a copycat who’s “influenced” to do the same thing. I’m sure it’ll make a big difference.

3 Likes

It’s not funny. (A bit like 9/11)

Now Bali will look at all tourists with suspicion.

1 Like

god, i hate “influencers”.

8 Likes

This (is a thing with which I agree).

“Seekers”? We used to use a different term, but maybe that is considered impolite now…
(rhymes with “bores”)

“leave the store feeling very good about how stupid they’ve been.”

leave the store feeling very good about how famous they just became, with the help of boingboing.

FTFY

2 Likes