Instead of a bible, congressman sworn in with his hand on a Superman comic

Drunkenly, I assume.

Correction: Super drunkenly.

17 Likes

It’s been 30 years now and so security might be different, but you certainly can get access to the LoC for yourself – they’d even hold a carrell for you for a few days (or longer if you can show some bona fides). And the staff are the biggest library dorks – they were utterly entertained by your pulling up random crap from the stacks.

7 Likes

Seems very much like he simply screwed up and asked for “The first Superman” (from 1939) rather than “The first appearance of Superman”, i.e. the famous “Action Comics #1” of 1938 from their collection.

If so, an inauspicious start to his position.

7 Likes

Oh and the fact it isn’t in a Mylar folder or bag makes my eye twitch…

5 Likes

Or, maybe, they don’t want to lend out a several million dollar item for this.

ETA: Google summary said a certain condition would go for $8-10M, actual sales seem to be around $3M, so changing “$10M” to “several million dollar”

5 Likes

“As a kid, I would pick up comics at old thrift shops and pharmacies and that’s how I learned to read and write in English.”

Mr. Garcia, when asked how he felt when he won his election, said

10 Likes

The LoC is fairly visitable:

I haven’t actually been since before Covid; most of the times I’ve been there were to attend a concert (there’s an auditorium) or a presentation.

As for handling, or leaving with, a given item, I gather that takes some arrangements with the staff.

2 Likes

Last time I was in DC, I wanted to visit the LoC, but the visiting hours didn’t correspond with when we would be in town (this was as DC was just emerging from COVID, and many museums and federal buildings had very odd visiting hours with many restrictions.)

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s on their list and they’re working their way down to it.

This is entirely appropriate, since Superman is essentially Space Jesus. Seriously, good for this congressman, swearing on his values instead of doing the rote thing. I wish him well.

3 Likes

As others have said, you can visit the Library of Congress and access items like this. You do have to make an appointment to see certain things. I think BoingBoing might have had an article a few years ago about being able to see the original art pages from Amazing Fantasy 15 (first Spider-Man appearance) which are now housed at the LoC. A buddy and I were talking about taking a road trip to do just this when COVID put that idea on the back burner.

2 Likes

While not the LoC, I had access to the full stacks at the main University of Illinois library which were pretty restricted. I also spent quite a bit of time wondering around the stacks, pulling random stuff from the shelves and sitting down in the old cubbies spread out through the library.

1 Like

What a great idea. As an atheist I would have issues swearing on a bible (or other religious text).

Next time/if I ever am in that position, I’m bringing a VHS copy of Star Trek season 2, ‘The Omega Glory’ to swear on. It’s got a built-in Constitution!

9 Likes

The thing that I miss about libraries (and libraries with the shelf-saving remote stacks that make browsing “unnecessary”) is that with the internet it’s much harder to find that book you didn’t know you were looking for.

10 Likes

I feel that way about dictionaries. I used to get lost in them before the internet made looking up words super efficient.

4 Likes

I don’t know if that’s true, as much as how it has changed.

I used to find a lot from Twitter (pre-April) from various author recommendations. It’s the one thing I’ve miss from leaving Twitter…

Or just found one from a link in something that somebody reposted on Tumblr.

1 Like

I’d swear in on Zap # 0 or whatever edition first carried Mr. Natural. As a backup I might consider Wonder Warthog. This lad is going to be a congressman to watch, he not only thinks outside of the box he stood on the box to reach for something higher.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.