Instead of a bible, congressman sworn in with his hand on a Superman comic

Originally published at: Instead of a bible, congressman sworn in with his hand on a Superman comic | Boing Boing

10 Likes

While I’m aware the phrase was introduced many years after that comic, Superman does stand for Truth, Justice and The American Way. So fairly appropriate.

cue the argument of precisely how little overlap there is between those three elements.

Spider- Man’s “With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility” should be painted on the door to the building, though. Maybe a few of them will actually read it.

31 Likes

I seem to recall there was a DA or an Attorney General who wanted to have the Spider-Man quote carved into a new building and it took some work with Marvel to clear the IP because Marvel didn’t realize the guy was serious.

Before law school I worked on Capitol Hill for a year or so. I wasn’t very good at that job in part because I would find some reason to go over the Library of Congress and just pull old, awesome, random crap from the stacks. I wasted a lot of time doing that. Was awesome. Would recommend.

30 Likes

Easy access to the Library of Congress, what bliss that would be. Lucky you

15 Likes

Wait, where was this?

And also, that line was never uttered anywhere else in history? Does the carved quote attribute Uncle Ben?

6 Likes

Similar sentiments certainly. That specific phrasing is attributed to Stan Lee in Amazing Fantasy #15. It was in a text caption on the last page rather than in the character dialogue, and only retroactively connected to Uncle Ben.

13 Likes

more of this, please.

12 Likes

What a great idea. If I was going to swear on a book about an ultra-powerful fictional character, better that it’s about one who uses his powers for good rather than to commit genocides or screw up a devoted fan’s life on a bet.

18 Likes

Eh, depends on the issue.

14 Likes

I’m kinda surprised nobody has sworn in on a Punisher comic yet.

4 Likes

If I had to choose, I’d probably be sworn in on Linnea Sterte’s “A Frog in the Fall”

or maybe Christophe Blain’s “Gus and his Gang,” though the optics wouldn’t be so favorable on that one, what with the train robberies and such…

2 Likes

There’s nothing like The ‘Forbidden’ Stacks.

8 Likes

That’s explained by red kryptonite. Ruben Bolling’s God Man has no such excuse for his endless stream of dick moves.

8 Likes

I knew the GOP was behind it somehow.

21 Likes

If that’s a blancmange-shaped gem being carried by the guy in green, then it looks as if it’d be one that only Superman could sink his teeth into.

3 Likes

Has Fox hand a meltdown over this yet?

4 Likes

godmad

8 Likes

Jesus would kick Superman up and down the street. How is Superman going to fight when his blood turns into wine?

12 Likes

I spent about 15 min googling, but couldn’t find it – I have a vaguest notion it was in New England somewhere and I guess it probably was meant to be attributed to Spider-Man (or Uncle Ben) – but if you are on the building committee and don’t like the idea, you could imagine some push back from “I’m not doing it unless you get Marvel’s okay – we’re not paying to have it fixed later.”

4 Likes

Things got pretty bonkers in the the 50s…

3 Likes