Insults fly, and Hamburger insists the sinking Millennium Tower is 'stable and safe'

You should meet his sister Patty.

19 Likes

It is perfectly safe. Provided of course people believe in it.

4 Likes

I hope nobody is killed when Mr. Hamburger’s reputation suddenly decides to emulate mighty redwood trees from days of yore and crash to the ground. Perhaps now would be a good time to figure out where a wedge-shaped portion of the building should be removed to ensure a safe felling down Mission Street.

6 Likes

Reiterating my previous post. Nothing’s gunna happen until the tower actually collapses, the fragile egos and money that are involved would never allow for the sensible solution of tearing it down

7 Likes

I agree with the horrified, but I have to disagree with the Analogy. The Morton Thiokol Engineering team was over-ridden by their management.
"The general manager of Thiokol turned to his three senior managers and asked what they wanted to do. Two agreed to go to a launch decision, one refused.

‘So he (the general manager) turns to him and said ‘take off your engineering hat and put on your management hat’ – and that’s exactly what happened,’ said Boisjoly. ‘He changed his hat and changed his vote, just 30 minutes after he was the one to give the recommendation not to launch. I didn’t agree with one single statement made on the recommendations given by the managers.’" Remembering the mistakes of Challenger - NASASpaceFlight.com

4 Likes

I guess when it came to disavowing his family name, removing the “Mc” from it was as far as he would go.

5 Likes

Ronald Hamburger? That guy had a rough childhood.

4 Likes

He never like Mcgillacuddy.

1 Like

This is a good analogy. There always seems to come a point in every disaster where the managing engineer is in too deep and feels that continuing to double down is their only hope of getting out. There probably seems like no upside any other way he goes.

Edit:

Hah, saw your post right after I wrote mine. I think it’s a good analogy because in this scenario Hamburger is the Thiokol management. He’s making the decisions, and may well have a hidden team disagreeing with him. The rank and file engineering team crunching the actual numbers don’t do press conferences.

10 Likes

Chief Engineer Ronald Hamburger

deadpool

14 Likes

some cliffhanger

2 Likes

Apparently it was built with Norwegian blue steel, which is susceptible to stunning, which resembles shifting and sinking. The fault of the media, which stunned it just as it was firming up.

8 Likes

Seems like San Francisco has a beef with Hamburger.

A ground beef?

6 Likes

Look mate, I think we’ve all had enough of that. The building was definitely sinking, and when they designed it not half a decade ago, we were all assured the lack of firming was due to it being drawn out following a prolonged squawk, er build.

9 Likes

The simulation is just fucking with us now

6 Likes

I will never forget seeing a local news story featuring a brief interview w/a man named Art Heist. I couldn’t help wondering whether Mr Heist has a sister or daughter named Jewel.

Where TF do they find these nanowit “experts” who make noises that sound just like the faux news rethugs, and make the same amount of sense?

7 Likes

17 Likes

Not to defend the guy, as my knowledge of engineering of this sort is easily held on one finger tip but I suspect he has no choice but to defend the work or lose it all in lawsuits and maybe even criminal proceedings.

The legalities of our society force people into these positions.

2 Likes

Nope. If he knows the building is unsafe and is publicly claiming otherwise for financial reasons then that exposes him to more civil and criminal liability, not less.

8 Likes