Integrity Vs. Friendship: Venting

Not all of them, no. I’m lucky enough to be able to say “not even most of them.”

Whether or not you end up alone, if you meet enough people you’ll inevitably leave at least an intermittent trail of shitty friends and disappointments behind you. It’s all just a part of being human. All of us fuck up sooner or later. Some of us fuck up a lot. A few of us are chronic and perpetual fuckups.

I’ve mentioned before the pretty talented and apparently personable drummer I jammed with a time or two who later turned out to be an actual body-dismembering murderer. I’ve known a few other friendly, intelligent, helpful people that everyone’s mom would think were “such nice young gentlemen” who ended up being world-class bigots, sexual blackmailers, rapists, thieves… even Trump-voters.

And yet most of the people I’ve known, while flawed to some degree or another, have turned out to be at least as wonderful as I myself am (to whatever degree that’s true). And I know I myself have profoundly disappointed some people over the years… sometimes painfully so.

But I never give up hope. All we can do is try to be the best person we can be… kind of expecting the worst and yet simultaneously hoping for the best.

Dwelling on it too long? That way lies madness.

9 Likes