Interesting, thoughtful stories

Pablo is a Brazilian cartoonist. He is doing a series of interviews with people who live in and around Porto Alegre, the capital of the State of Rio Grande do Sul.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Apparently interesting thoughtful awe-inspiring stuff has real world consequences in a positive way. Who’d a-thunk it?

7 Likes
4 Likes

A chonky 16μg quantum cat:

2 Likes

An interesting article on the rehabilitation of the idea of economic planning. I almost posted this in the communist memes thread, because even though this is a load of text rather than a meme, the left wing wall of text is itself a meme.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I, like so many others, was immersed in a fantasy world of unwavering American goodness, upward and onward progress, undying love, and other phantoms before discovering that U.S. policy in Vietnam was designed to advance U.S. interests rather than the well-being of the Vietnamese people. . . .

In today’s fast-paced world, ideas worth remembering are much too quickly swept into history’s dustpan. Reinhold Niebuhr warned his contemporaries about various myths, including the myth of American benevolence and the myth of American innocence—and how these myths can foster illusions of moral self-righteousness and blind us to how we are viewed abroad, even by our closest neighbors, Canada and Mexico. No wonder Niebuhr likens the United States to Don Quixote, ever seeking dragons to destroy.

Then there are other foundational myths that inform this nation’s cultural imaginary and that we should treat skeptically and critically, including the myth of self-made man, the myth of American exceptionalism, the myth of the melting pot, the messianic myth of America’s special mission and the myth that history bends toward justice.

5 Likes
1 Like

[ETA]

I do believe I could listen to Laurie Anderson talk for hours and hours… there are several of these, all of a similar length… covers a variety of topics in her typical way… if you’re not familiar with her work, she normally talks about all manner of stuff in her songs, too…

5 Likes

The comment below reminded me of what comes to mind when stories about the rise of AI, increased joblessness, and a future world without work as we know it today are discussed on BB. How will this affect immigrants?

The following stories cover the situation in the US, where there are estimates of over 10,000 people per day coming to the southern border, and how dangerous the journey can be:

People entering Canada face different outcomes and challenges:

:thinking:

5 Likes

or https://archive.ph/sTLWZ

2 Likes

I set aside this intriguing video, finally watched it today. Thanks!

I want to walk more in nature now. All of the claims there about the benefits make great sense to me.

The one part that bothered me a bit is a claim or at least implication that we’re intrinsically wired to benefit in those ways from wandering around in nature and enjoying it.

But, it wasn’t so long ago in the history of our species that a walkabout was instead dangerous.

When i wander around a forest like that, i sometimes think how lucky I am not to have to keep long gone dangers in mind, and about different it must have been to be on constant guard, especially because some kind of large animal could come lunging after you. That’s a very different state of mind!

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

14th Amendment, Debt Ceiling & Perpetual Bonds: The Treasury Department is Hiding Political Failure In Technocratic Excuses

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Knowing quite a few Marines and former Marines, that does not surprise me.

4 Likes

@FloridaManJefe Hawaii shares your struggle

8 Likes