Interesting, thoughtful stories

Warning, articles contain discussions of sexual violence.

:thinking: I wonder how often this is used as a punishment or deterrent based on the frequency and nature of crimes. Maybe this could affect trafficking, too.

1 Like

This is long, and there are horrifying details in places, but it’s a beautiful eulogy to a very unique Chicagoan, and deserves to be read widely:

6 Likes

Thanks for that!

Great reporting, really brings him back to life, a lot about Chicago too. Awful though what happened to him.

3 Likes
7 Likes

News flash: treating yourself for a condition you don’t have is probably medically contraindicated!

Next they’ll release a study that giving ADHD meds to neurotypicals doesn’t result in increased ability to concentrate and focus on task, to widespread shock.

10 Likes
7 Likes

I’m so glad this got published, because it’s usually never expressed publicly. The writer points out that non-indigenous populations have a tendency to undervalue the knowledge and skills of indigenous people, thinking that because it’s different it’s somehow not as sophisticated and complex, and then are amazed at the ‘miracle’ of that very same constellation of knowledge and skills making the difference between life and death.

7 Likes

Yeah, that was a really good take on things. Thanks for posting that here. Good read!

4 Likes

(excerpt) Huffpost journalist Philip Lewis joked that The Atlantic writer [Jacob Stern who wrote that orcas are “sadistic jerks”] would become the orcas’ next target. :laughing:

Father/son-in-law bonding experience:

5 Likes

Life is complicated.

Archive version: https://archive.ph/o36Q8

5 Likes

That’s also amazingly common in the States. I know you know enough basic biology to understand why.

4 Likes

For sure. Theirs is such an American story. And she’s doing her damndest to make this place better. (Maybe him, too. I dunno anything about him.)

4 Likes
1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06137-x

7 Likes

Not wanting to bring back the confederacy might have something to do with this.

7 Likes

I know – fuck cancer – but it is absolutely true that it will refocus one’s attention.

This is an amazing example of that:

4 Likes

Also, “terrifying”:

For more than half a century, the luminaries of the mainstream American right had a clear mission and sense of where they came from. If liberals were fixated on quixotic schemes for building a perfect society, conservatives would be on hand to do the sober work of defending liberty against tyranny.

[…]

Over the last decade, however, this account has given way to an alternative reading of the past. For a vocal cohort of writers and activists, the real conservative tradition lies in what is sometimes called “integralism”—the weaving of religion, personal morality, national culture, and public policy into a unified order.

[…]

it imagines a return to a much older order, before the wrong turn of the Enlightenment, the fetishizing of human rights, and the belief in progress—a time when nature, community, and divinity were thought to work as one indivisible whole.

A “return” to what now? Because this

a much older order, before the wrong turn of the Enlightenment, the fetishizing of human rights, and the belief in progress—a time when nature, community, and divinity were thought to work as one indivisible whole.

Did not exist. And this guy is full of all kinds of shit

According to Deneen, liberals have purposely eroded the basic forums of social solidarity—“family, neighborhood, association, church and religious community”—and now govern as a minority against the demos , the popular majority.

And agreed, terrifying. How these “thinkers” can delude themselves into claiming they have followed the logic to fascism astounds me. They didn’t follow logic. They started at fascist and worked backwards. Imagining things that never existed, glossing over inconvenient things like facts and history, and outright lying along the way.

6 Likes

Which is why they have to cheat to win elections? Because they’re the popular majority?

7 Likes