Interesting, thoughtful stories

If I ever get to Philly, this is one of the things on my list to see. A friend of mine went a while ago and loved it.

3 Likes

If you ever get to Philly, let me know in advance because I don’t mind having an excuse to visit my daughter there (if my schedule allows it).

She can tell you all the best places to eat!

2 Likes

4 Likes

I did not know that Rowan Atkinson studied as an electrical engineer, that aside it’s a pretty well balanced and informative article.

9 Likes

Very much so. Thanks for sharing this!

5 Likes

It can be an uphill slog to discuss the totality of the costs of electric vehicles, especially the batteries. Some admirers refuse to hear that there might be problems upstream of their use of the car. Nice to see more public, well stated concerns.

3 Likes

mr bean GIF

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

I can’t tell if this is “Fuck Today” because of the meddling into private business, or “Good (Encouraging)” because it opens the door to attack secondhand cigarette smoke.

Archive version: https://archive.ph/B3Zfa

What if my neighbor didn’t like the smell of flowers I had in my home, or the perfume I wear, even in an elevator? Or the curry I cook for dinner?

1 Like

Yeah, this is the “Fuck Today” part of it. But from the article:

Judge Ebony Scott ruled late Monday that while Josefa Ippolito-Shepherd could not prove she is entitled to damages, she successfully made the case that the smell is a private nuisance, and Scott ordered Thomas Cackett to stop smoking. Scott said that Cackett is licensed to buy marijuana but “he does not possess a license to disrupt the full use and enjoyment of one’s land.”

“Indeed, the public interest is best served by eliminating the smoking nuisance and the toxins that it deposits into the air, toxins that involuntary smokers have no choice but to inhale,” Scott wrote in her decision.

But focusing on “toxins” this seems to limit complaints about non-harmful things. But, peanuts and allergies? I dunno.

1 Like

This documentary sounds amazing…

Cross-posted to trans awareness thread…

5 Likes

Discussions about media bias and coverage swirling around CNN seem like the tip of the iceberg after this report about how much world news isn’t reported:

4 Likes

Especially in the U.S., I’d guess.

Traveling elsewhere made me realize how nationally insular U.S. media is.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Now waiting for the book bans.

2 Likes

This isn’t long, but it’s well written. It tells one person’s viewpoint of moving from active cancer treatment to keeping-it-at-bay. I had to laugh at the notion that it might take ‘up to a year’ to get over the brain effects of chemo (yeah, right, can be MANY years for some patients), but I think it does a good job of explaining how the process changes for a cancer patient over time.

4 Likes

NSFW but interesting:

2 Likes
1 Like