International gaming tournament won't let women compete

I can answer this!

THEY DONT

8 Likes

NASCAR, a sport that is an order of magnitude more physical than e-sports, has female drivers. Fucking NASCAR, hardly a sport you’d associate with unfettered progressivism.

19 Likes

The PC Gamer article makes it even more confusing. Apparently there are competitions for men and for women, with either gender playing different games. For instance, the men will play Hearthstone, a card combat game, and the women will play Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a video combat game. I just don’t get it.

But the headline to this post seems wrong. Only Finns can compete, so it’s not too international, and women can compete, but only against each other, apparently. This whole thing is just weird and surprising on several levels.

The tournament is Finnish-only, but it is a qualifier for the international IeSF event.

1 Like

They’re using the official IeSF rules. Article 10:

The Official Titles of “The World Championship” are as follows :
Four Official Titles for the “The Tournament” shall be designated by “IeSF”:
:arrow_forward: Male Division: Two Titles (regardless of team or individual match)
:arrow_forward: Female Division: Two Titles (regardless of team or individual match)

I’m not surprised that a gaming organisation would be clueless but actually going to the trouble of encoding this into their rules to be percieved as more legitimate just speaks to what a boy’s club the whole stupid thing is.

My little sister used to kick my ass at Doom back in the day. My girlfriend used to kick my ass at Soul Calibur. A female friend was the one who got me playing Dota against all my better judgement. Women play games, including competitive games, all the damn time.

1 Like

Even if the genders were separated with two separate tournaments, that’s still a pretty misleading headline. “International gaming tournament has male and female division tournaments with different games” is a huge difference than “International gaming tournament won’t let women compete”.

Some people complain about a competition when the genders are separated into different tournaments.

Some people complain about a competition when it’s a coed tournament.

If there were a competition with a men’s tourney, a women’s tourney, and a coed tourney, someone would still complain about the men’s tourney being proof of sexism.

1 Like

There aren’t two separate tourneys though. There are two different tourneys. A men’s competition consisting of :

• Dota 2
  • Starcraft 2
  • Hearthstone
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV

And a women’s competition compromising:

• Starcraft 2
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Presumably, Dota 2 Hearthstone and Ultra Street Fighter IV require penises to play and Tekken Tag Two must be lactated upon

8 Likes

I challenge you to find an example of such a complaint (outside of physical sports) that doesn’t boil down to “eww, cooties!”

8 Likes

Free speech means they can do whatever the * they want at their * competition as long as it’s legal. It also means that prudes can foam at their mouths as much as they feel necessary. It also means that others are free to laugh their asses off at the sheer stupidity displayed.

It also means that people can tell them that they are bigotted asshats and should be ashamed at themselves. Which they are. And they should be.

14 Likes

In my book, excluding Quake also qualifies them as bigotted asshats. I bet there would be 10 times more people interested in a Quake tournament than in a Dota 2 women’s tournament…

Also, taken from IeSF’s own website:

IeSF became the official member of TAFISA
TAFISA is a sports organization network established in France in 1991. TAFISA currently consists of 154 members and 254 sport organizations, working with most international organizations such as UN, WHO, UNESCO and IOC. After IeSF submitted the international membership application in Mar. 2014, the board of TAFISA decided to approve IeSF during 2014 TAFISA Forum in Seoul on 23rd, April.

So apparently, these people represent the whole E Sports thing at an international level to the point where they have much more responsibility than organising their own event

1 Like

They don’t represent anyting. They’re one of the bazillion organisations hoping to make a buck out of the whole “e-sports” thing.

By the way, wtf type of logic is that?! Suddenly apparent size is what constrains a per-profit to adopt your morality, or what?

No, representing e sports to the UN means they have a responsibility to do so in the best way possible to e sports, i.e. not acting like biggotted entitled fuckwits

1 Like

Tell that to the International Olympic Committee. I’m sure they might hear you through the noise made by the sweet, flowing, Russian rubles.
Neither this French organisation, nor the IOC have any responsibilities, obligations etc as long as their yachts, whores and blow are paid for. Also … French lmao.

But I would have just as much right to call the IOC bigots if they were to, for example, decide one year to disallow black people from competing in the Olympic, as would everyone else.

This policy is wrong and the IeSF should be called out on it.

4 Likes

You seem remarkably strident about defending these people? Of course, they have a right to run their organisation however they feel is most effective, but why does this criticism upset you so much?

It reflects badly on them and it makes gamers and the wider gaming community appear out of touch. Obviously you don’t have to care about that. But defending it makes it appear you have a bigger stake in the debate somehow.

13 Likes

Fair enough. I consider this policy to be of little importance, directly proportional to IeSF’s importance.

At EchocolateChoco:
On the other hand there’s a (laughable) trend, especially on Rock Paper Shotgun or The Escapist, with articles designed for raising pitchfork crowds for reports about sexist conspiracies at events, objectification of women in the gaming industry etc. Besides the annoyance element, I don’t see such pressure leading to any improvements; on the contrary - pressure from school (and other places) shootings led to the dumbing-down of some titles (no gibs in Quake Live, not that people kept them enabled in Quake 3), green/blue blood and fewer polygons for gibs in Germany, etc. I don’t want to wake up with only choice, 3-5 years from now, between games with androgynous whiny characters and imbecile Sex and The City type action (have a look at The Sims presentation from this E3 2014) just because game publishers want to be on the good side of a throng of rejected yet rabidly vocal and shallowly appearing “influential” writers.

I hereby declare you to be a troll. I advise other readers to resist the urge to respond.

12 Likes

You know The Sims has always been a virtual doll house, right? I don’t think you can extrapolate from The Sims and say it’ll displace every other game, or it would’ve happened 10 years ago.

Look, your imagined scenario is literally never going to happen. It’s not even what people want to happen. I know lots of female gamers, and they are gamers because they LIKE the games that are available now, despite the obvious things that are wrong with them.

The “laughable” debate, as you see it, is simply about pointing out: look, sexism does not make games better. It limits your audience and it makes people see the whole sphere of gaming as immature and childish. Games do not need to be sexist to be good!

Perhaps the fault lies partly with those sites for not communicating better. Certainly a lot of fault lies with the industry as a whole for nurturing a particularly obsessive enthusiast press. The very idea of games criticism is still a pretty novel one to a lot of the audience, who see criticism as driven by hatred for the medium, rather than a very passionate love for its missed potential.

But look. I know a ton of industry people and they love the same stuff that you do. They also need your money. The games you love and crave will always exist. As genres fall out of favour with the big publishers, indies pick them up and take them even further. You seriously don’t have to worry.

You just might have to accept that some of the players alongside you are women.

4 Likes