International gaming tournament won't let women compete

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Why are e-games seperated by genders, anyway? Of all the perceived differences in genders, is video game skill really a discrepancy?

5 Likes

Iā€™m confused, is it the global organization setting this stupid rule or just the people running the qualifying tournament in Finland?

Extreme upper body weakness. Male pinheads.

As one reply to this tweet said:

https://twitter.com/tavastiajones/status/484342281198387200

7 Likes

I can see a justification for allowing a space for women to compete when they would otherwise be marginalized in an overwhelmingly male dominated space even thought thereā€™s no physical reason why they couldnā€™t compete - there are womenā€™s world championships in chess, snooker and darts and I believe that the ā€˜menā€™sā€™ competitions are actually open. Hopefully these would just be temporary until the open competition is a bit more equal.

A men only competition is just stupid though.

7 Likes

As Vlad Taltos said to the lizard god, ā€œHow can you tell?ā€

It seems like a stupidly unenforceable rule, unless they are going to check inside everyoneā€™s pants at the door or do DNA tests or something.

1 Like

Obviously, these deluded Finnish organisers think that males are not going to win a tournament open to everyone. So theyā€™re organising a segregated tournament for one gender only. Just like in Chess.

Has Blizzard taken a position? If not, you should try to get them to comment.

1 Like

Question: How is it sexist to have one tournament for males and one for females? Their tweet said they are having gender-divided tournaments. Whatā€™s wrong with that?

There is no female hearthstone tournament (although there is a female tekken tag tourney with no corresponding male tourney).

6 Likes

In that case, why use the words ā€œtournamentsā€. Iā€™d say itā€™s likely they where about to announce one as soon as interest was drummed up but I am of course not 100% sure about this. Itā€™s just what it looks like to me.

The same way itā€™s racist to have one baseball league for white people and one baseball league for non-white people. Thereā€™s no more reason to segregate video gaming by gender than there is to segregate other competitions by race.

18 Likes

So you think there should be a baseball league for woman and men, competing side by side? Is it sexist not to? 'cause thatā€™s what youā€™re saying, donā€™t involve racism in this topic, has nothing to do with it.

I really canā€™t think of any good reason to separate the sexes in a gaming tournament. Even what chess does with open tournaments and women-only tournaments seems kinda sexist to me, though I can understand why they do it.

I do have some vague recollection of a study where males had faster reaction times than females on average. Even if that translated into an advantage at the tournament level for twitch games, Hearthstone is essentially a card game.

1 Like

There is at least some rationale to segregate professional sports by gender: physiological differences between the sexes mean that the average female player will have a major disadvantage in upper body strength compared to the average male player. The same cannot be said for race.

What is the rationale for excluding women from a video game tournament, where physiological differences between the sexes have no impact whatsoever?

10 Likes

Probably nothing at all - I donā€™t disagree on merging the esport leagues. I just think you hop on the racism train way to fast.

This is the most maddeningly stupid thing the gaming community has done sinceā€¦ oh, probably yesterday-ish.

9 Likes

It seems to have been necessary to make what I would have thought was an obvious point: do we still have to explain whatā€™s wrong with ā€œseparate but equal?ā€

9 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how physical differences in height, weight and strength - like in baseball or other sports - are applicable to gaming ?

7 Likes