International Space Station set to crash into Pacific Ocean, on purpose

[future me] Well, it was nice knowing you all!

1 Like

Hey, now. Corporations are people, too!

4 Likes

Maybe the LEO long-game strategy is to let the private sector have it, so they can clean up the space junk as well? Kind of the opposite of how things have been done on Earth.

1 Like

Point Nemo is, of course, also the location of R’lyeh.

8 Likes

With the Captains of Industry™ this world produces? Nothing. Nothing whatsoever.

7 Likes

Knob and tube wiring is bad enough on earth, I bet it’s a real pain on a space station.

8 Likes

on second thought, let’s just build a city of a thousand planets on top of it.

1 Like

No need to keep the Russians happy, so they can keep a lower inclination for future stations; though it will be a shame for those 50+ degrees North not to see the station whizzing across the sky.

2 Likes

Somewhere in those places without ships cluttered around?

2 Likes

This one?

Scott Manley is great, and a fine accent to boot!

3 Likes

It’s going to be this all over again isn’t it

5 Likes

Nope! Scott Manley is awesome (“Fly Safe!”), but I’m referring to these:

His first set of videos are overly long (showing every shuttle, soyuz and profess launch all the way up) but also extremely detailed, and he got much better with later videos cutting out the repetitive launch views.

It’s really really well done as a project, and I think deserving of a BB post if I ever get the time to write it up!

6 Likes

I get the disappointment, but at the same time, the government buys things all the time. The number of things designed by the government is quite small. Everything else is designed and purchased after commercial bids.

If you’re afraid of science not happening in space, don’t worry. That will still happen. Even long duration crewed missions. The only commercial purpose for a space space station is an orbiting hotel, and there’s no reason for the tax payers to provide a playground for the rich like that.

Yeah, you can find all sorts of weird stuff behind the walls.

1 Like

When I needed to replace a stem in the shower, I couldn’t get a replacement at the hardware store, I had to take leave from work to go to the specialty plumbing supply place in the industrial park that was only open M-F and closed at 4:30.

3 Likes

I was quite annoyed when I found out some one had paid the fine that NASA was given for littering

3 Likes

We’ve all got those projects in our work and home life, where it’s easier to scrap the whole thing and start afresh, than it is to try and bolt on the latest widget.

1 Like

only one way to send off a space station

1 Like

Yes, I specifically had a shower part like that! Home depot was like, whew, we don’t have that, you need to go to a real hardware store. And even then they had to order it for me.

In my case, the part was discontinued, but the plumbing supply place had a replacement that would fit.

1 Like