Internet Archive looking for software to extract political ads from TV archives

[Permalink]

Of course they need software. Making a human being watch political ads all day would be unimaginably cruel.

1 Like

But they are doing it to extract the ads for their ā€˜valueā€™. Not to clean up the TV shows. So there must be a market for said torture.

Dear goodness me, youā€™re right on that one. One of my jobs during undergrad was riding herd on a database of campaign ads. Nothing like building a controlled vocabulary and then spending 4 hours at a time watching ads and tagging them with names, years, locations and themes. After that gig, the only person I could have voted for in good conscience was Paul Wellstone, which would have been tricky, him being dead by that point.

Iā€™ve done fiberglassing in poorly-sealed suits and Iā€™ve literally shoveled shit for money; that database was, by far, the worst job Iā€™ve ever held.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not just that its how the sausage gets madeā€¦ its how politicians get made.

Couldnā€™t they start off by looking for all instances of the phrase ā€œI approve this messageā€ in ads from the past ten years, and taking the previous thirty seconds? This should be fairly easy, and create a good initial candidate set.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.