Interview with James Gleick about his new book on the history of Time Travel

You could argue that Dickens had time travel in 1843 with “A Christmas Carol” given the Ghost of Christmas Past (and Future). Yes, you could argue that may have only been Scrooge’s dream, but Twain makes it ambiguous whether the Engineer really went back in time too.

4 Likes

My time machine is a cardboard box that says Time Machine on the side.

The Information is a great book. I tried to read Faster though… I couldn’t stick it. To me it is unmitigated nonsense.

2 Likes

The article (and I presume the book also) says “H.G. Well’s The Time Machine, published in 1895, was the first mention of time travel.” But Mark Twain beat H.G. Wells to the punch six years earlier, with the 1889 publication of “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court,” in which an engineer accidentally travels back in time

Granted, the device is an angel misdelivering a diplomatic pouch, but I think it qualifies:

2 Likes
6 Likes

Cue Morbo – “Prepare to be disappointed.”

There is the bit about him pointing out the bullet hole in the suit of armor to the contemporary he’s relating the story to, but I guess that’s still flimsy evidence given the tallness of the tale.

1 Like

The History of time travel is the future!

2 Likes

You don’t even need time travel for this when you have Wikipedia.

(I donated - again - am I being suckered?)

2 Likes

While it is true both Twain and Dickens (and others) wrote of time travel before Welles, I do believe it was Welles who first presented time travel as a technological achievement - and not some dream or supernatural fantasy occurrence.

1 Like

Re. “It should be called History Travel, and it’s time there was a book about it.”…there already is - I read it tomorrow.

1 Like

There was had been a monograph, “Linguistic Tense Structures for Time-Travellers” but it will fain beenst out of print.

3 Likes

I can never make it past the part about the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.