Interview with the man arrested for possession of donut glaze

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/interview-with-the-man-arreste.html

6 Likes

I don’t know. Has anyone checked to see if you can get high smoking the glaze from a Krispy Kreme donut?

4 Likes

I don’t see how the field test would make a difference – most of them flag sugar as a narcotic.

7 Likes

As crappy as those field tests are why are they still used and why are their results not immediately verified by a better lab test? Other than it allows cops to arrest any person driving in the wrong place?

4 Likes

Probably goes without saying that because of his skin colour he was not shot on the spot. (Not to take away from the unfairness of his experience).

2 Likes

A slightly less hyperbolic take: because of his skin color, we heard about this at all.

6 Likes

I’m shocked! SHOCKED! that the arresting officer still believes it was meth, even after the state drug lab found it to be not meth. Next time he should use a much more reliable method to test for drugs. Like a dowsing rod, or reading some tea leaves.

7 Likes

best line: “you would think a police officer would recognize donut glaze, it’s probably on the front of their uniform”

14 Likes

It was positive on the field test!

9 Likes

I don’t know about Florida, but in Michigan they use a preliminary field test to see if it is a narcotic, say crack cocaine, then the sample is shipped to a Michigan State Police crime lab (most police agencies use the MSP lab) for verification. A small percentage of the field test results are not verified by the lab results, and the case is thrown out of court. The same with drunk driving arrests, the preliminary breathalizer test is done with the small handheld the police have, then the driver goes back to the station for either a blood test or a “datamaster” test, which is a more precise test for blood alcohol content. All that being said, you’re still arrested and lodged and a bond is set. Most drunk driving arrests are faster here because the departments can use their datamaster for the alcohol test, but have to send the “narcotics” out to a lab. So you might get arrested but they don’t have the actual lab evidence for months.

1 Like

Today’s neural net homework: Create a classification neural net that can verify a field test for driving while impaired and reject mental/physical impairments from chronic diseases that do not prevent you from holding a driving license.

Lone Star Law showed some officers doing a test for sobriety that was some very complex set of instructions as an alternative to the old style walk a line toe-heel.

https://www.dougmurphylaw.com/boating-while-intoxicated

See SEATED FLOAT SOBRIETY FIELD TESTS

2 Likes

Yeah, the Bowles, great stuff.

Only the banana-flavored ones.

7 Likes

Let this be a lesson to all of you that, like this guy, have never had a drink or toke or taste or what have you in your lives. You’ll never know the paranoia that could have easily compelled this guy to be 100%, absolutely, totally, positively sure to lick up all the glaze from the car’s floor.

1 Like

Almost makes me think cops have some kind of “quota” of miscreants they have to arrest every week.

3 Likes

I dunno, his eyes look pretty glazed to me.

3 Likes

“Only thing in the back is a bunch of bibles I give out to the homeless.”

“E-lec-tric-al banana…is going to be the very next phase”.

2 Likes

I love it when someone asks a question, but answers it in the same breath.

3 Likes

Why do they need to be arrested though? They can do their job and assess if they are intoxicated or not, check for similar prior convictions and if they pass all that then for the love of all that is good and holy just send them back home!

They can arrest them later if it turns out to really be illegal drugs.

2 Likes