Man spent more than a month in jail for heroin that was actually laundry detergent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/man-spent-more-than-a-month-in.html

7 Likes

If you’d stop picking your apples out of the compost heap, that would be a good start.

41 Likes

I keep hearing about this one bad apple

Seems like he’s all over the place

29 Likes

23 Likes

So done with drug laws, man. They are like crack to crooked cops. Pun aggressively intended.

20 Likes

His mistake was choosing to be poor rather than engaging in a lesser offense like knowingly and intentionally conspiring against the United States of America.

33 Likes

I would say that was an apt description of the HR department of the Sheriffs office when they hired (and later fired) Deputy Steven O’learly.

8 Likes

Crull may sue for damages.

He was treated to Crull and unusual punishment.

23 Likes

Matt Crull said he sat inside a Florida jail for a crime he didn’t commit.

Not a crime he didn’t commit: a “crime” that never even happened.

24 Likes

at least 11 people he put in jail for drug charges were found innocent…

Middle-class white guys all, I’m sure. I mean, we’re still the majority, right?

10 Likes

They probably did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/magazine/how-a-2-roadside-drug-test-sends-innocent-people-to-jail.html

21 Likes

I’m surprised he wasn’t charged with homicide after deputies killed themselves trying to shoot up with it.

14 Likes

The thing that amazes me about this is the use of this field test kit.

Sure use it and if it shows positive arrest the person just in case.
But then you immediatly send off the sample for a proper check before actually charging them for the crime. Why hasn’t this part been done at all?

Worst case scenario should have been sitting in jail for a day or two, but over a month?

14 Likes

oh, i didn’t know it was bingo night!

Very interesting distinction, i wonder how that impacts the legal ramifications.

4 Likes

This department is so slow! They had to reach 11 before the officer was fired, and it took a month to get the sample in one case tested.

11 Likes

Except the lab that does the verification tests is usually at the state level, understaffed, over-worked, and the results take weeks, if not months.

People without the means to make bail are probably being counseled by their public defender (also overworked and understaffed) to cop a plea to a lesser charge so they have some hope of getting back to their children before said children get swept up by Child Protective Services.

IMO:
Field test kits that show positive should at most result in confiscation of the alleged contraband and a citation to appear in court once the state lab verifies it really was what it was alleged to be.

18 Likes

Krull and unusual, you say?

krull

10 Likes

One bad apple ruins the WHOLE BARREL.

That’s why it’s vitally important to throw out rotten apples the moment they seem a little suspect. Not after they’ve already burst open from all maggots.

19 Likes

And then what happens, when the one bad apple slips through, I’ll tell you what happens: he goes home and does his laundry.

3 Likes

This is just an escalation of the Tide Pod epidemic…

1 Like