Man spent more than a month in jail for heroin that was actually laundry detergent

A few people have already hit on the issue by calling out the field tests and understaffing, but this:

“No matter what we do, no matter how hard we try, just based on the law of possibilities there’s always a possibility that one bad apple will slip through,” Snyder said,

Is a complete effing cop out. If the proper policies, procedures, and oversight were in place there is NO WAY one bad apple could cause this much harm before he was dealt with.

11 Likes

Whew. Thank god he was FIRED. Steven has to look for another job. Sounds about fair, right?

If there’s any cosmic justice, he’ll end up living in a van.

Pun intended?

9 Likes

But of course. I thought that’s where the meaning of cop out came from :wink:

1 Like

It’s better than the story I expected to read where the cop was put on paid administrative leave until the investigation was quietly dropped. Now he can run for Sheriff and win because the populace doesn’t want someone who will be soft on the wrongly convicted.

4 Likes

Ha!
My first thought was, didn’t the officer
smell the detergent?
My second thought, was the soap in a baggy?
Hmm…
Must have been Scent Free.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to hear more about why his bond was set at $500k. One article suggests it was raised from $100k to $500k. Why? Was he assessed as a flight risk or a danger to the public or something? Is that standard practice for drug trafficking charges?

If he hadn’t been sitting in jail for a month while the substance was tested, that situation would still suck but it would suck a lot less.

As a dad, I can’t decide whether to respond with a “money laundering” joke or a comment about how the cops were afraid he was going to make a clean getaway.

13 Likes

Reminded me of this, but not funny

1 Like

But why do you want to ruin his life?/s

This is the reason that advocate that the DA’s office be on the hook for the bond in cases that end in acquittal by factual innocence. At least the bailbondsman’s cut of the bond if that was used in securing release before trial.

By doing such a policy change, excessive bail will be curtailed if the prosecution can potentially be held liable for the bond.

Hahaha!
The situation definitely
stinks of monkey-business
as the officer assumed
he was ripe to peel away.

The problem isn’t individual bad apples, it’s the barrel, it’s the institutions that have been set up in ways that make this sort of behavior nearly unaccountable through diffusion of responsibility.

4 Likes

That too.

I’m just fed up with these departments defending themselves saying there’s just this one bad cop here or there.

The reality is: for every bad cop there’s a bunch of other bad cops who know about the bad behavior and think backing up their buddy is more important than serving the law and protecting the public.

A cop who knows another cop is doing something bad and does nothing isn’t a good cop in a bind. He’s just one more bad cop.

5 Likes

Bail was set at twice Roger Stones?

Anyone know whether he owes room and board for the duration of his incarceration? There are some jurisdictions where that’s billable even if charges are dropped, on the grounds that the room and board were actually provided (hence, it’s not a punishment, it’s a fee for service - without due process implications).

In my more cynicalcritical moments, I wonder how much of this sort of abuse is the product of a for-profit jail system.

1 Like

I think what happened is first the cops found the baggy, and then one cop said hmmm, and started snorting the detergent, then some of the detergent dripped down the nasal cavity into the mouth, then the detergent came into contact with saliva and started to foam.

Then he was foaming at the mouth and he started going into convulsions because he thought it was the right thing to do when foaming at the mouth, then they drove across town, got a syringe full of adrenaline and stabbed him in the heart with it.

Then they said, holy shit guys I think this stuff is heroin!

1 Like

A shot of adrenaline?
They should have said,
Holy shit guys, I think this stuff is
Cocaine!

I guess this is my clue you haven’t seen Pulp Fiction.

Omg…
Yes, but a l-o-n-g time ago.
I totally thought you came up with that
whole scenario and thought,
Too funny!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.