Intro to measuring tools

Something not really spelled out here is that the relative measuring tools are often more precise if you’ve a) got to make something to fit something else that already exists, b) you’re creating something that has a repeated feature in it, or c) you’re creating things that only need to fit one another (but that have to fit perfectly). In all of these cases, the measurement (i.e. the number of units) is essentially irrelevant (or relevant only at the first step).

For example, when cutting baseboards for radically irregular corners (such as the allegedly ‘square’ corners that exist in my place…), it’s much more accurate to use a tool made for transferring angles to set up the mitre saw than it is to measure with a protractor and attempt to set the saw to e.g. 87 7/8° (trying to measure fractional degrees on something like a baseboard means you’ll have errors while measuring, and again while setting up the saw…)

And for repeated features such as a series of holes, you might do something like:

• scribe a line that all the holes will sit on
  • measure and mark the location of the first hole
  • set a pair of dividers to the required distance between the holes
  • use the dividers to mark the distance on the work

Building on the preceding example, if you were making a precisely matched mating part with some repeated feature (a set of studs, slots, larger or smaller holes etc) that matched the set of holes from the last part, you could use the same, pre-set dividers to mark the locations on this part too. Using a scale risks introducing errors at each new hole/feature on each part.

The same holds not only for wood or metal working, but for things like bookbinding as well–when making books or cases for books, I tend to use a scale at the outset, but once the rudimentary dimensions are set up, the scale only gets used as a straight-edge, and my tools consist mainly of dividers, punches, knives and a square.

2 Likes

Gauge blocks are the tools intended for this purpose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block

Yesss! Exactly that!

I did not remember the English name. I have some that I inherited, but not everybody is so lucky so I suggested an improvised way with lower but still sufficient-for-a-home-shop accuracy.

For calibration (okay, making sure they still show what they should and did not drift) of measuring instruments, you don’t need accurate blocks that can be stacked together. A block with accurately known arbitrary thickness will do the job. Same for voltage references for multimeters; doesn’t have to be exactly 1.0000 volts, any well-known stable value will do.

…Good discussion this is. Prodded me to finally look at javascript/SVG, for generation of arbitrary scales. The method I used earlier, with just HTML/CSS, is not as good as it should be nor can be converted to e.g. DXF and fed to a laser cutter as vectors…

Really nice article!

Another measuring tool I have on hand that I like are bore gauges. I don’t use them that often but when you need one it makes figuring out the inside diameter of something much easier. Used in conjunction with a caliper or micrometer you can get precise measurements.

1 Like

No such thing as a right angle in a house :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not only does this review severely undervalue the use of combination squares, as commenter Ian Brown mentioned, but it’s just plain wrong. When it says “Most don’t do anything but measuring squareness.” it’s ignoring the fact that the angled portion of the square is designed is to measure and mark 45 degree angles. It’s not just for right angles.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.