Introducing the Boing Boing Store (and a special launch discount)!

Absolutely, if people are going to buy from Stack Social, there is no reason that a site they like, such as BoingBoing, shouldn’t benefit, so long as that relationship is clear and conspicuous, as the FTC notes affiliate relationships should be disclosed. (And, again, I don’t think the disclosure is necessarily required by FTC guidelines for the store front, as opposed to affiliate links in posts, given that a financial interest is implied by a store front, but I still think it would be a good idea to do so upfront rather than hide the fact, and have people wonder why the BB store looks soooo much like the TechDirt store, and the Gawker store, and the… No reason to act sneaky about it if there is nothing sneaky going on.)

1 Like

Don’t you mean it’s a relaunch? It’s not the first store boingboing has had

Registration seems to be broken on Firefox 38.0 on Linux. When I try to register, the “Sign up” button turns to “Processing” briefly, then turns back. The browser console reports an error: “Empty string passed to getElementById().” I tried to set some JS breakpoints and see what was going on, but ran headfirst into minified code. I was able to register with Chromium 41.0, so it appears to be Firefox specific.

I submitted this to Stack’s customer service page, but I’m not sure where the problem is, so I’m posting here too.

Also, my experience with the “freebies” was pretty shitty. After running into browser problems registering, I found that the “free” audiobook of The 4-Hour Chef isn’t free. You have to both follow BoingBoing on twitter and tweet something out on their behalf, with no mention before you log in.

The problem isn’t that the trade of a tweet for an audiobook, it’s that the page doesn’t tell you the deal until after you register and log in. This is what you see before you log in – it’s “free”, and says “login to get it”. After you log in, you see this, requiring the tweet and follow.

That’s quite frustrating.

5 Likes

Perhaps I don’t understand this correctly, but I can’t help thinking that this would actually work better if the store was curated (even if that only meant picking a subset to the StackSocial range.)

I agree, but in a way, it probably will be. BB already drops affiliate links to stack social deals (without clearly and conspicuously noting they are affiliate links, aka the Boinger is a profit participant in sales if you click and buy something). Undoubtedly, BB will continue put links to stack social deals in posts, only now the links will land on a BB branded stack social store front page. This actually is a good thing in that now BB’s financial interest in such deals will be more upfront. But, on the other hand, now BB is branding a store filled with “all sales final” terms as its own, and people will now directly associate BB with the the terms of the deals, for good or for ill, rather than only indirectly doing so when BB linked to SS as an outside page.

Thank you for saying so clearly. I can’t say I find much fault with your logic, but my caveat emptor is pretty strong, so I can also understand why @frauenfelder might be dismissive of your concern. Good to have said anyhow, since you are.

The Explorer Pro is not your average selfie stick. Its robust handle
boasts a convenient built-in Bluetooth anal probe and high-quality self respect dump valve.

2 Likes

I have a couple of them, and mine are remarkably stable for their size. I have been flying other quads for quite a while though.

I got mine for half the price at banggood.

What do you guys do, hold meetings at someones house and come up with this stuff over a couple bottles and some weed. I actually like the idea but the detested Snark (Why is everybody using that word now?) in me wants to say something like “Fantastic, another selfie stick store”

There’s a collection called “Deals for Dads”.

Nothing like a good bit of gender essentialism.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.