Investigations begin into Berlin aquarium failure; some fish survived

Originally published at: Investigations begin into Berlin aquarium failure; some fish survived | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Fish don’t make good witnesses, what with those short memories.

23 Likes

In notable nerdy-land there is talk, and some rejection, of the temperature response of acrylic. That is, was a tank which has to be held at about 25C for the continued survival of its contents unaccountably allowed to get to a sufficiently low temperature, (it’s cold outside in Berlin at the moment), to render the acrylic container notably brittle, even in some small area? eh… seems unlikely.

The Physics Behind The Collapse Of A Huge Aquarium

Is there no surveillance video in a hotel? (“well sure. but my tin-foil hat is telling me that they don’t want you to see them” …or they got wet. …or Jörg had them all switched over to record some fußball game)

6 Likes

29 Likes

Appearing for the prosecution:

6 Likes

Berlin aquarium failure

Still not as bad as the Erfurt latrine disaster

16 Likes

Err, wow. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Depends on your point of view. Sounds like no fish were harmed, merely nobles.

6 Likes

subject of the why is this not a movie podcast

2 Likes

Which is all very interesting, but 20 degrees is very comfortable, 40 degrees is hot as hell, and the last two will scald you.

2 Likes

There was a store near a place that I worked that had a giant tank in the window full of hundreds of red fish of some species. It always made me happy to see them.

One night, a fire broke out in the building. The firefighters took the shortest way into the building, cutting through the riot shutters with something like a giant pair of tinsnips. With the shutters cut away, they found their path to the fire blocked by the fish tank in the window. So they took their axes to the window, and to the tank.

None of the fish survived. Afterward, the street outside was covered with aquarium gravel and dead fish.

I can’t fault the firefighters, but it was a sad business all the same.

8 Likes

We were walking in Berlin in 2019 and happened upon this aquarium. We weren’t allowed to go into the hotel (guests only) but could get a cool view from a neighboring cafe. I’m sorry it exploded, it was a really neat thing to see.

7 Likes
3 Likes

If only Pee Wee had been there.

3 Likes

Even elephantfish?

4 Likes

Needed more transparent aluminum.

3 Likes

Wow. That reads like something that Jonathan Norfolk’s editor told him to cut from The Pope’s Rhinoceros for being too out there.

(If you haven’t read it, folks, you should)

4 Likes

History is so much stranger than fiction :astonished::scream:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.