265,000-gallon aquarium in Berlin hotel bursts, flooding lobby and killing 1500 fish

Originally published at: 265,000-gallon aquarium in Berlin hotel bursts, flooding lobby and killing 1500 fish | Boing Boing

8 Likes

what a tragic waste. all those fishies.

33 Likes

That is a 1000 tons of water. The tall, narrow shape puts all of that weight on a fairly small area. Why would anyone build an aquarium that size and shape?

And despite reports of “glass”, surely this was made with >10 cm thick polycarbonate

Eta: a quick web search says it was made of acrylic and in 2003

13 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this, it’s a bit meta:

16 Likes

For a tank that size, they should have used transparent aluminium.

33 Likes

The NY Aquarium has a floor-to-ceiling aqaurium with sharks, rays and turtles in it that is pretty amazing. I could sit in front of it for hours. Leave it to the pros, folks. giant habitats like this aren’t “decorations”

18 Likes

my favorite aquarium ever visited is this one in Atlanta.
they have a frikkin WHALE SHARK :heart_eyes:

also: whale sharks are cool AF!

15 Likes

Shoddy aquarium was built by cats no doubt.

13 Likes

It being in the lobby of a hotel, I’m surprised there’s no security cam footage of the event.

18 Likes

Yeah, when I first read…

I was skeptical, but holy shit! It blew the front doors apart and dropped what look like +2" thick glass everywhere. That definitely would have ruined some fancy peoples’ days.

8 Likes

Poor fishies. :cry: It’s why I’m always checking my tanks for leaks even though they’re small I don’t wanna lose my betta fishes.

21 Likes

Oh, there HAS to be. My guess is that right now it’s under lock and key until the hotel can determine their level of responsibility and how many patrons are gonna attempt to sue them.

13 Likes

The contractors sure were fishy.

3 Likes

I’m sure we’ll see it soon. They aren’t very good at stopping leaks.

27 Likes

That’s because the intelligence agencies covered it up after Tom Cruise made his escape.

24 Likes

Apparently whatever they used, it wasn’t totally transparent.

10 Likes

Wow, that’s a great livestream of that tank. I only watched for a few minutes, but a big whale shark swam right at the screen and did a lazy pass. spectacular!

11 Likes

Shame. That thing was beautiful and amazing.

9 Likes

I think they believed themselves to be pros.

The Hotel simply had a view of the aquarium’s exhibit.

7 Likes

Beer No GIF by de chinezen

12 Likes