265,000-gallon aquarium in Berlin hotel bursts, flooding lobby and killing 1500 fish

Whew, somebody mentioned Mission Impossible Movie the First!

2 Likes

Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa has 3 of them

When they feed, they go inverted and act like big vacuum cleaners on the surface

Seen it live. Its awesome!

11 Likes

fantastic!
it is my number one bucket list item to swim/ dive with whale sharks in the ocean. i have looked into charters out of Cozumel. there is a short window that pods migrate near enough to take a one - or two night liveaboard excursion to meet them.

11 Likes

honestly, i worry about this sort of thing happening whenever i’m in front of ANY tank bigger than me.

6 Likes

I Call your 3 and up you photoshopped Iranian missiles (plus Godzillas and Space ships)!

Not that I’m suggesting your image is photoshopped, it just immediately made me think of this.

9 Likes

I went to the place 3 years ago. Unfortunately my wife works on the computer with the vacation photos. Otherwise, I would be able to give my own. I had a few of the feeding time. Maybe later today. I promise.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the same companies that make giant aquarium fish tanks also make giant hotel fish tanks.

5 Likes

Radisson blu isn’t even that fancy a hotel. It would have hit the middle class in town for Christmas shopping

7 Likes

Its interesting. Basically the boat goes to different schools of whale sharks and you jump off the boat in pairs with a guy carrying a GoPro and swim after them for a little bit and then go back aboard. They move pretty fast in the open water and are trying to get away from you. Usually you can go swim with them 2 times or so if there are enough of them out there.

1 Like

BBC news story tonight had the bloke who made it saying in 2003 that you could hit it with a bullet and it would not break, just make a small hole.

And it was very early in the morning, so nobody was around. No injuries (human).

Speculation is that it was material fatigue somewhere. (Who’d have thought it?)

6 Likes
4 Likes

Same here. I worry more when the tank is all around me/over my head…like at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas:

7 Likes

It’s a good point generally, but is also a bit like comparing SeaWorld to a non-profit or science-driven aquarium. There is bound to be a difference in standards and priorities…

3 Likes

The technical standards aren’t set by whoever runs this sort of thing and compliance would be checked regularly by the local building authority.
Source: guess what my day job is.

11 Likes

Additional info, video and pics of before and after.

Also I just heard on the radio that
a) Not all of the fish were in the big cylinder at the time of the accident but in external tanks in the basement. Apparently not all of the fish were on display all the time. Those in the tanks were not harmed.
b) The fire department and hotel staff managed to save some fish from the lobby and get them into tanks fast enough.
No concrete numbers as yet, but at least not a total loss. The Berlin zoo aquarium will take in some of the surviving fish for the time being.

16 Likes

Two were reported injured in the first paragraph of the link. They might not have been human.

3 Likes

Ah - I thought the item I saw on the BBC news said nobody was injured. Maybe they said ‘seriously injured’. I should pay more attention.

2 Likes

HugeManatee

4 Likes

No fish involved but when I was young kid I worked at a fancy hotel as a waiter and busboy. At the New Years Eve party right before midnight the water main for the hotel burst. Apparently it ran up the center of the hotel near the elevator shaft.

Flooded the lobby and it was freezing as it went out the front door.

The hotel manager told me another waiter to go down to house keeping and bring back as many sheets and towels as we could to soak up the water.

We were standing in ankle deep water, we laughed and said sure. We then decided to steal a case of champagne and get the rest of the staff drunk. Best New Years Eve ever.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.