Ireland borrows water cannons from UK after anti-immigration riot

The far-right in Ireland tend to not talk about imperialism or colonialism, definitely not in the same kind of contexts as the Nationalist Left do. Nationalism as a concept tends to be more associated with the left here where it’s more about establishing a 32-county Republic and not at all about the ethnicity of the population. “Who lives here, belongs here” is a common rallying cry on that side of the political spectrum.

By comparison the right here tends to concentrate on migrants and blame them for all the problems in the country. Like all the homeless Irish people are apparently because the state houses refugees - and not because there are more than 150,000 vacant homes in the country, many of which are kept off the market by the owners because the land is more valuable as an investment without having to maintain the property and artificially driving up rents and mortgages.

14 Likes
15 Likes
10 Likes

Elon, you get to have an opinion on the Irish Prime Minister when you can pronounce “Taoiseach”.

11 Likes

Oh the irony. Foreign workers are usually attacked, harassed and mistreated…

It seems that the Irish raised a lot of money for the Brazilian man who confronted the attacker with the knife.

8 Likes

ˈSHibələTH

8 Likes

I am sorry, please explain

Something along these lines, I’m assuming…

I don’t know about the specifics in Ireland, but these have been trans-local movements since the 80s, at least, when right wing skinheads went global.

13 Likes

Skinhead fashion was back in style a few years ago, I saw them around town a lot back when I was doing regular street stalls to canvass for the pro-choice movement. I was tempted to ask them if they just liked the style or if they liked the politics as well, but if it was the latter then I was risking getting the shit beat out of me. And well, the fashion faded away pretty fast anyway.

6 Likes

There are anti-racist skinheads, though. They’re not all violent racists (often just… dudes who like to fight). In fact a lot of the violence in the punk/post-punk scenes came from anti-racist skinheads fighting racist skinheads… an example from the US:

And of course, the original skinheads weren’t racist, since they were interracial groups who loved ska and many came from the Caribbean (the above documentary gets a bit into the history of skinheads in general). It was the British National Front that injected racism into the movement in the late 70s…

8 Likes

Some friends of mine found out that one of the people on their label was an active Nazi. They deleted their work but it became apparent that there were quite a few out there. The Quietus ran an article on it and it was around then I read of European police warning the Gardaí. They ignored it of course and here we are.

7 Likes

What The Wtf GIF by MIA GLADSTONE

Seems to be a recurring theme with the far right, doesn’t it? “Oh, it’s fine! Not like the far right ever hurt anyone! These are just some young white men experiencing economic anxiety! They’ll grow out of it!”

6 Likes

SHARPS. Skin Heads Against Racial Prejudice. I haven’t heard that term since the 1990s.

9 Likes

Oh the irony…

(That is, it apparently hasn’t dropped for some here, who still support Xitter, by reading it and by plopping hot, steaming links here to it.)

8 Likes

The person he’s replying is the tech, actually really just the gadget correspondent, in the.l biggest selling newspaper. I know I said I don’t read the Irish Times due to their anti trans bullshit and solidarity, but I do miss their tech correspondent Karlin Lillington. We don’t deserve her, she’s great, and Mastodon isn’t enough.

5 Likes

He’s already that for total fucking arseholes. Bigoted misogynistic arseholes.

So very on brand for the (redacted).

5 Likes

Oh yeah, absolutely. These guys tended towards the exact style that was popular with the Nazi skinheads back in the day though.

2 Likes

The only good thing coming out of Brittain owning these is that when they were bought I learnt that the plural of cannon can be cannon or cannons.

1 Like

There is a reason the original article refers to the canons as coming from Northern Ireland and not from the UK. Please change it back to Northern Ireland in your blog post. I don’t want to explain why, i am tired of explaining these nuances.

6 Likes

That’s f-ing wild. I knew fascist/hate speech propigated some hardcore/metal scenes…back to punk/Oi bands in England… But synth-wave? Crap.

4 Likes