Ireland legalizes same-sex marriage

[Read the post]

3 Likes

From the linked wiki article:

However the DUP again tabled a motion of concern, preventing the motion from having any legal effect.

And the award for most toxic concern trolley goes to…

5 Likes

congratulations to all the happy couples, and their families. <3

8 Likes

Even with Paisley dead, they’re still arseholes.

1 Like

Please do not use the term “British isles” when discussing the Republic of Ireland.

2 Likes

“This leaves Northern Ireland as the last holdout in the British isles”

But yes, I suppose I’m being cute. I’m fond of “Atlantic Archipelago” myself.

2 Likes

Implying that the previous subject of discussion was also part of the the so-called “British isles”

Thanks!

2 Likes

As an aside, I was driving g through Ireland for a couple weeks, and went back and forth between northern and the republic. Invariably locals would try to give me directions, and one out of five times they would describe the exact same route but some would say, “via Derry” and others would say “Londonderry”.

Took me two days to figure out they were the same place.

On topic

Now go get married, you crazy kids! (I’ll gladly accept invitations)

7 Likes

I can only imagine that there are some tense meetings going on within Team Vatican right now. Ireland has been one of their most devoted markets for some centuries; and now they appear to have lost more ground in the span of a few comparatively quiet decades than they did when Cromwell was trying to burn them out. Unlike Spain, they can’t blame a backlash against clerical fascism, either.

1 Like

Sliante, Eire!

1 Like

Is there any compelling reason why The State has any say in who marries? If people agree to the contract, it seems that they could just witness it. Marriage is whatever the participants decide that it is, otherwise, it is merely a stereotype.

Every country who has gotten marriage equality says they’ll go back for trans people next. As far as I know, Ireland is the only country that has actually followed through. Shortly after the marriage vote, they passed one of the best Gender Recognition laws in Europe.

In priciple I really don’t disagree. There are certainly arguments (taxes, EOL benefits, estate planning, etc) but I wouldn’t put any of them into the compelling bucket.

Two consenting adults and a contract. Done and done. (Aren’t I romantic?)

One of my sore points is - why two people, specifically? The arguments I have heard against polyamorous marriages have tended to be rather sketchy.

Well, it just gets more complex, that’s all. Presumably you could structure marriage like a board of directors, but then that almost necessitates an odd number of participants, not even.

No marital arguments, as all decisions to be agreed by majority verdict.

2 Likes

Are you saying executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses?

King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn’t vote for you.
King Arthur: You don’t vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how’d you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays… ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can’t expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur: Shut up
Dennis the Peasant: I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they’d put me away!

9 Likes

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

5 Likes

I have no issue with polyamorous marriages. They’re whatever people make of them. But in practice most poly marriages are really polygamous and a means for a man to attempt to literally own several women. Which I can’t support.

Polyamory and poly marriages? Sure, no big deal. They’re just typical marriages with more participants. Polygamous ownership of a harem? That seems wrong. But as long as we can’t verify that the participants are under duress I suppose there’s not much reason to take issue.

2 Likes

One of the UK regional legislature thingies (Guernsey) is doing that and simply abolishing state marriage. Civil unions for everyone! I’m not sure if they’re libertarians (it’s a tax shelter) or just religious people angrily flipping the table (it’s very small)

1 Like