Irish Mambo

OH! And it’s worth giving American Routes a listen tonight, as they’re playing Irish music and American music inspired by Irish music!

http://americanroutes.wwno.org/archives/show/1376/St-Patricks-Singers-Fiddlers-and-Pickers-from-Ireland-to-America

4 Likes

“How’re t’ings?”

1 Like

I don’t know how true it is but I read somewhere that long before he met Yoko, John fell deeply in love with Alma Logan who regularly hosted showbiz parties attended by the Beatles. I remember seeing them both on the UK pop’ Show Ready, Steady, Go’ and even as a teenager I could see that there was a real connection between them. Unfortunately, she died of cancer in 1966.

From Wikipedia… "John Lennon once recalled that, when he was a teenager, he used to mimic her savagely during his time at the Liverpool College of Art. Lennon’s wife Cynthia also recalled, “John and I had thought of Alma [as] out of date and unhip.” But after Lennon actually met Cogan on the TV pop show Ready Steady Go! in 1964, they became close friends, so much so that Cogan’s sister Sandra later said that the pair had a serious romance that had to be kept secret because of Alma’s family’s strict Jewish faith.

Cogan was close to the other Beatles as well, especially Paul McCartney, who first played the melody of “Yesterday” on her piano. The 1987 compilation album A Celebration includes a testimonial from McCartney:

When the Beatles first came to London, Alma was lovely to us… welcoming us with open arms. All my memories of that time are very special to me. Her high spirits made being with her great fun. I will always remember Alma and her sweet music with great fondness."

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.