Irishman arrested for chasing missed flight on foot during takeoff

If you google “no fly list” and “stranded”, it appears that this does occur from time to time. In most cases, it seems that it’s resolved bureaucratically, but it takes time. If you’re a certain type of person (cough, brown skin, cough) the time it takes might be years or decades rather than days.

There are different types of no-fly list, though. If you get drunk and behave disruptively on a plane, the airline will likely ban you from flying with them, but you may be able to travel with a different airline. I would assume that in really extreme cases, the big carriers may share lists, but you might still be able to get home – not necessarily by the most direct route – by flying Air Buttscratchistan or something.

The US government’s ‘no-fly list’ is a different matter, and you don’t generally land on that for being an ass, but for something like terrorist associations, or having approximately the same name as someone on the list, or being too overtly critical of the government, or really pissing off a TSA agent, or … well, quite a lot of things, actually. But probably not just for getting into your duty-free before take-off and then groping the cabin crew.

Generally speaking, unless you make a sincere attempt to destroy the aircraft, bad behavior is more likely to get you on a specific airline’s list, rather than the global, government-maintained list. If you’re on the airline’s list, you may be able to go round it by flying a different airline. If you’re on the government’s list, your only options are either that tramp steamer you mentioned, or doing a lot of pleading with officials, something that will involve (a) lawyers, and (b) time, and © basically letting them pick over your entire life until they’re satisfied that you’re not actually a security threat.

1 Like

Debatable. In 1889 at age 44, Nitesche suffered a collapse and afterward, a complete loss of his mental faculties.

2 Likes

I don’t specifically recall any suggestions of flapping his arms and waving his arse being made about Nietzsche, but lots of screaming and agitation in general. So definitely plausible. Poor guy.

As we like to say in work when someone says “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” - Nietzsche said that before his long debilitating illness that removed all the joy from his life and made him a physical and mental wreck.

Or words to that effect.

2 Likes

tumblr_m08c5kneh51r1vggvo1_400

2 Likes

Wanda : Oh, right! To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I’ve known sheep that could outwit you. I’ve worn dresses with higher IQs. But you think you’re an intellectual, don’t you, ape?

Otto West : Apes don’t read philosophy.

Wanda : Yes they do, Otto. They just don’t understand it. Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not “Every man for himself.” And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but then that was what killed him.

Shouldn’t it be “Gentleman arrested”?

Is there an extra quality of gentlemanliness that this story is missing?

1 Like

77cd82f03a0a84f38f7b53ddba9743d9

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.