Iron Fist

Got any ironing or something to do at the same time?

4 Likes

Avengers crossover?

12 Likes

How I wish that wasnā€™t a thingā€¦ or at least that I was still unaware of it.

IMO, it would be way worse if Jones were clean-shaven for the role; he has a face thatā€™s more milquetoast than attractive, and his smile is too smug to be charming; it instantly evokes a desire to punch him.

Or maybe that was just my reaction upon googling other images of him:

In a word?

Youā€™re better off reading almost any book.

7 Likes

LOL.

Was thinking that itā€™d make good background telly while something else is done, rather than have it cut into actual leisure time. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Given the title, Iā€™m glad you picked ironing, instead ofā€¦

9 Likes

9 Likes

Iā€™ve mostly been watching this show over someone elseā€™s shoulder, with subtitles instead of sound. With that disclaimerā€¦ I keep being struck by how formulaic it seems, and how much some of the story beats in it remind me of Arrow.

I suppose there are only so many ways you can go with the central idea, butā€¦

(still seems like a decent enough show, but nothing so far to pull me in like some of the long fight scenes in Daredevil)

3 Likes

Itā€™s better than Arrow. But thatā€™s not exactly difficult. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I got bored in those. Iā€™d rather theyā€™d just put up a card that said ā€œlong fight with ninjas, Daredevil winsā€ and moved on.

5 Likes

I honestly kinda liked what Iā€™ve watched of Arrow so far, even though it constantly challenged my suspension of disbelief. The thing is, Iā€™m not sure I want to watch it again.

I just liked how they portrayed a relatively realistic knock-down, drag-out fight. That said, Iā€™m mostly basing that on the first 1.5 seasons(ish) of Daredevil, I havenā€™t watched everything available so far.

4 Likes

Oh, I like it. And the use of the shared universe is fun. But itā€™s justā€¦ kinda stupid in a lot of places. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stopped watching not long after the ninjas appeared. Iā€™m 1.5 episodes into IF, and probably wonā€™t get much further. As said in the OP, can they really not find another fucking origin story anywhere, that this one gets beat to death endlessly? Iā€™m officially adding ā€œwhite boy disappears and comes back a ninjaā€ to my list of lazy writing tropes, along with time travel, evil twins, and amnesia.

2 Likes

tears up script for story about time traveling amnesiac white boy ninjas

8 Likes

Good call. But you shouldnā€™t have posted that here, somebody just got a massive hard on and will start on that script immediately. It will make millions.

You forgot to mention that theyā€™re evil twins, BOTH OF THEM!! HAHAHAHAHAā€¦

5 Likes

I watched that show until they got to the point where Oliver Queen gets arrested on suspicion of being the Arrow then tells his security guard friend ā€œthis was all part of my plan, now you just have to pull a heroic stunt as the Arrow to prove Iā€™m not the guy.ā€ There were so many layers of stupid in that plan I donā€™t know where to begin.

9 Likes

I was trying to work out which time, then thought ā€œOh, wait, stopped watching, so must be the first time they did that.ā€. :slight_smile:

Oh yes. And thatā€™s one of his more sensible ones, too.

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m 10 episodes in. I donā€™t even know. Just meh. I keep shutting it off and going back when Iā€™m bored and leaving it running in the background while I do other stuff.

I think Iā€™m really going to like whatā€™s-his-name as one of the Defenders, where he pops up every hour or so to hit something and then GTFO while the decent characters have dialogue. Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple is good as always. Everybody else is kinda meh.

There have been at least a couple cringe-worthy moments in a sea of meh. I am willing to accept that it might just be me- Asian stuff, martial arts, and corporate intrigue are all at the very bottom of my interest list- But at this point, Iā€™m only watching in case thereā€™s a reference to the rest of the Marvel universe.

4 Likes

Every episode I think, what would Daredevil do?

4 Likes

Finished E2. +1 to Carrie Moss being the only character to just immediately ask him questions no one else would know to validate his identity. Thatā€™s the stupidest part of his previous encounters, particularly with Joy. I canā€™t decide whether I like or hate the fact that heā€™s pretty emotionally unstable. It doesnā€™t fit with being a zen spouting ninja, but itā€™s humanizing.

One more thing, not surprisingly the show does disservice to mental health workers and the system, very, very few people are involuntarily institutionalized. My social worker wife has worked with outpatients for 25 years, mostly in NYC. Some of them have elaborate delusions, but are rarely committed.

8 Likes
  1. Go to police. Report self as missing person, now found.
  2. Contact family lawyer. Wait- Rich. Swap # 1 and 2.
  3. Get a haircut and outfit that doesnā€™t make Foggy Nelson look like a GQ model by comparison.
13 Likes