Is former San Francisco fire commissioner Don Carmignani the Marina District vigilante?

Call me naive but I think “can people go about their daily lives without worrying about getting shot or maced?” is a better measure of how civilized a country is than “can a corporate coffee chain put out furniture without worrying a homeless person might take one of their chairs?”

21 Likes

Was he eating Twinkees? That sounds very, very soft on crime.

12 Likes

They must be so proud.

Citation required, comrade; especially after you came her posting hate-mongering right wing propaganda.

13 Likes

You Did It GIF by The Tech Interactive

13 Likes

There are a lot more culprits than zoning laws higher up the list, including income inequality, residential real estate as an “investment”, for-profit healthcare, lack of social safety nets, privatization of homeless support, lack of veteran support, lack of mental health care…yeah, zoning is so far down the list it’s hardly worth mentioning unless the intention is to distract from all the rest.

13 Likes

“I’m glad someone is suffering more than I am.”

Michael Buble Check GIF by bubly

12 Likes

IMO, Oakland’s main issues right now are gentrification and a dire lack of affordable housing, but the community there is thriving overall.

18 Likes

The most experience I’ve had there is going to a Walgreen’s, but that could change when I can afford to travel more.

3 Likes

I seriously doubt that Jello Biafra would have been a fan of the book you posted, and would agree with the premise. Maybe go back and listen a bit harder to the messages in those songs…

11 Likes

12 Likes

Some of us Americans who study history understand the importance of this day even as TPTB continue downplaying it.

Your hotel room (that I’m sure is able to be cleaned today) must have a very obscured view.

https://www.globalrightsindex.org/en/2022/countries/khm

12 Likes

I’ve seen reports that said the spray used was not just regular human strength pepper spray, but is actually bear spray, which is more potent.

4 Likes

And the “crowbar” used in the attack was just a piece of metal found in a trash bin, probably cut from something else. It’s not technically a crowbar. I think MSNBC has a video on it that actually shows the video where the guy took out out of the trash can.

4 Likes

Seth Meyers Ok GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I feel so much less empathy for the victims, now, thanks.

8 Likes

Agreed. Actually 54% seems kind of low. Around here I don’t think there is a single building from the 20th century or earlier that would meet current efficiency requirements. And of course we also had that thing where we went from asbestos being effectively mandatory to it being very illegal in the span of a few years not all that long ago.

7 Likes

Vigilante? Nope.
Serial killer in training? Yup

6 Likes

If you read the methodology, the author is quite clear that the issue isn’t building codes but density maximums set up to keep low income housing out of San Francisco over the last 100 years.

1 Like

Chicago has 5x the land area that San Francisco does. If we consider the middle 50 square miles, Chicago’s density is around 22,000 per, which is about 20% higher than SF. The more important metric to housing availability is net housing stock, which Chicago is adding at a steady clip.

No it usually isn’t. Most of us adults don’t act out our emotions all the time. This guy, on the other hand, has a history of losing control. He also has a DV conviction which shows something about him.

They may be. They just passed a big bump in funding and resources for this, $1.45 bil over two years, on top of their existing spending, coming out to about $70k per homeless. That’s enough to rent an apartment, buy market-rate health insurance, provide food delivery, and some mental health services, for each individual. This may be the solution.

Yes he was, quite high level.

Ok, I personally would call that anger but if that’s more hate than anger, I agree with that too. He is very deliberate and planned, obviously.

I would say that the people who make complaints are usually the same ones demanding that the police do this.

Just wanted to point out, this is way more than simple assault. The only thing that might save this guy is that a prosecutor probably won’t want to risk how a jury might feel about it.

I think it’s a predictable result of when leaders fail to solve problems. I don’t think it’s a good result.

You realize, this guy does, in fact, have a DV conviction, so your joke there is pretty close to reality?

Anyway, other news on SF.

A long and shocking article about the total failure that lead to the failure of a Whole Foods in 13 months. It’s not just rampant shoplifting, it’s people coming in with machetes, guns, knives, a fatal OD in the bathroom, etc. Civilized societies can’t be like this. And it’s gotten so bad the city is getting the assistance of the California Highway Patrol and the National Guard to deal with homeless and drug issues. How can the leadership have failed to such an extent they need to call the National Guard for help?

The mayor is trying to significantly expand the police department and increase funding, but she’s going to have a tough time recruiting so I think they will just end up paying more OT.

It’s not rampant shoplifting at all. Several expose articles have detailed how corporations like Walgreens, Starbucks, etc. have used this kind of rhetoric to cover for their own errors in overexpansion and poor site selection as they pull out of urban centers.

10 Likes