Is it OK to torture a robot?

I was just wondering that as well.

2 Likes

I have been very busy, and surprisingly writing very little. I might try to catch up and say something about it.

9 Likes

Heck one of the most fun things I consider doing with MrsTobinL is not the nookie (though that is really nice) but going out for coffee and working on the Friday and Saturday NYT crosswords together.

6 Likes

[quote=“shaddack, post:381, topic:74609”]
See above. Try to describe any kind of mate selection in any sort of an animal, and you will find some sort of fitness assessment, some sort of scoring. A mate has to score higher than others to win in the selection process.

Propose an alternative theory, then look at it and you will see it is the same in prettier words.
[/quote]The “selection process” as you call it has more to do with emotion than a scoring process. You’re like Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D talking about “Understanding Poetry” when in the end none of poetry has anything to do with a score.

I didn’t line up anyone I ever dated and use any metric, I didn’t try and woo them with impressive feats, we talked, we hung out, we did that more often because we liked each others company, but to suggest that I dated anyone because they had a seven in looks and a solid nine on the financials complemented with a ten in intellectualism versus that other person who had a nine on the intellect, well, that’s silly. Life isn’t about how well people’s roll came down during character creation with a chart that pops up when needed. Hell, my wife still keeps her financials separate from mine, I don’t even know how much she makes a year, how do you score that?

We just work well together because we complement each other and I want to be a better person because of her. Not to impress her, not to score higher and keep the other alpha males from my tree, but because life needs better people in general. I didn’t win her, I asked her to share her life with me, and it’s something she can choose at any time to continue or to stop.

If the selection process was based purely on score then at any time this can all fall apart when Jennifer from accounting makes more money or has a better pretty quotient, but none of that matters in the end because the emotional part takes all precedence, not some score on the Pritchard scale.

6 Likes

My wife and I both work from home offices, mostly, and often go get lunch together during our work days.

1 Like

I think that was the best part of when I was working virtual as it was a get it done and be contactable during the day so taking a long lunch with the wife and working a bit later in the day was not a big deal.

1 Like

I didnt mention any religion at all. Didnt hint at one or insinuate or imply or hint either. I figure by now you know that when I want to say a thing I say it clearly.

True and I’m not thoroughly insensitive. To keep it relevant to this thread, while robots have no feelings, people do have feelings about them but on this particular subject, facing the fact that robots dont feel has been my point all along.

2 Likes

Oh, hey, robots. We can torture then like one would any mechanical object, like a car. That you feel like a jerk later on is a result of your empathy, but isn’t testing how well they work the requirement of any hardware? How do you feel about the Samsonite suitcase in the cage with the gorilla?

1 Like

4 Likes

Mixing http and https will end in tears eventually. There are also browser based restrictions in what will load over http when you are on a https site. This site is https. Example:

4 Likes

If you can’t stand the heat, don’t go to the kitchen.

If you can’t stomach torture-testing robots, you need to reconsider your job in robot testing/design.

1 Like

You don’t air condition your kitchen?

3 Likes

Actually, not.

But, okay, s/kitchen/foundry/ :smiley:

Tut tut
We all know that even mild thermal problems occur in fluctuating environments. Workspaces should be consistent–keep your enemies close, and your tolerances closer. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Then there is the issue of the factory floors, often in large difficult to heat and difficult to cool spaces where you just can not keep constant temperature within reasonable budget.

I am actually consulting on some thermal tolerance compensations project in machining.

2 Likes

Some day we should fork this conversation. There must be a way of cost effectively harnessing the even temperature of earth fifty feet down to solve this kind of problem.

2 Likes

Put the machines to an abandoned subway station.

Could work.

But then there’s the issue of the machines heating themselves, as the motors and bearings and cutting tools release a lot of energy. That is the main problem, the spindles and workpiece and tool carriers can go to 80 'C and above after couple hours of hard work with relative ease.

1 Like

I so need to see that now… and hey it is on youtube.

1 Like

One of my nicest memories was sitting on a top with a biostatistician, holding hands, my head on her shoulder, listening to her giving me an ad-hoc lecture about vector spaces.
…then later her boyfriend returned from another country, then they broke up, she switched to another, and the last I got was a wedding invitation. Oh well.

The emotions are the scoring process.

That is part of the problem, the other party is not consciously aware of all the variables, at least not without a lot of introspection they typically won’t or can’t do, so no way to even figure out what metrics I lost at.

Poetry cannot be understood. It’s usually a way to dilute as little information as possible with as many words as possible. It’s a loss of time.

You did. You may not be aware about it but you did a lot of processing and comparing.

2 Likes

Poetry is a dilution of information and a loss of time as much as music is.

Eta

I feel the same internal yumminess when writing great code, listening to great music, and listening to great prose+poetry.

7 Likes