Is it OK to torture a robot?

I show only E, indubitably.

Ah, yes. The reductio ad if it doesn’t feel right to me it must not be true. A classic.

4 Likes

On a personal level, I agree, but on a legal level, I think the law trying to protect people from their own unhealthy impulses is wrong. Unless you can make an argument that the robot is conscious (which might not necessarily be unreasonable in the future) I don’t think the law should have anything to say about it.

3 Likes

However, I am BA.

One weapon named E.

Weaponized E, channeled from the o/ether, mind-like, body-like, just so.

Ready to go.

Ghosted.

If you cannot separate yourself from your robots, then you do not deserve their support.

For anyone can be an enemy, right?

Sight makes it so.

My new band name! Steampunk for the Soul!

Justifications of Justifications of Justifications of Justifications of Justifications and then you die is the title track on our new waxed cylinder dropping last year!

3 Likes

It becomes a philosophical question when robots become sentient. When something is self-aware, I think questions like this become relevant, but that’s the tricky question. What makes a person a person?

I don’t think that’s unreasonable, especially considering how much ink has been spilled in science fiction this very question. Hell, there is a whole Star Trek: TNG episode about whether or not Data is a person or property (first season, I think).

8 Likes

Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum.

2 Likes

I used to be disgusted by the way everyone treats robots in Star Wars, even the good guys. But remember about 10-15 years ago when car alarms started proliferating, you’d be walking near a car and a voice from the car would warn you to get back? Fuck that. I get enough grief from actual humans. I don’t need to take it from brain-less, soul-less automatons too. As long as they’re programmed by or owned by someone else, robots are just proxies representing other humans. If some jerk throws a rock at me, I don’t have to respect the rock, even if it’s been sculpted to almost pass for human. I’m too busy trying not to get stoned.

The humans in Star Wars treat droids like crap because droids are generally just tools of the Empire, or representatives of gangsters or villains or scum. It would be hard enough to muster sympathy for your fellow humans or any thinking beings in those conditions, let alone for simulacra.

5 Likes

And how sentient is sentient enough to count? We haven’t really got to grips with this for the rest of the animal kingdom. We do some pretty hideous things to factory farmed animals, while knowing full well that they experience pain and have emotional appraisal systems …

Pigs problem solve at the intellectual level of human toddlers and are self aware enough to distinguish self from others or their reflection. That is also thought, albeit of a different quality to our own.

5 Likes

Agreed. It’s not an easy question, because the people deciding who is and isn’t sentient (human beings) aren’t exactly unbiased. If steaks are good eating, then people involved in that industry are going to do all they can to make sure cows aren’t considered “people”.

4 Likes

I have just been censored, declared inhuman. I am only just human…

Fuck you, labelers.

1 Like

S2E9 The Measure of a Man

Someday maybe we’ll all be as sentient as Captain Picard :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll admit to loving bacon and a nice steak. I’m a rather guilty carnivore. :pensive:

My take, FWIW. If we all become vegetarians there won’t be nearly as many stock animals, so they’d never have an opportunity to live at all. So while stock animals “owe” us their very existence and pay for it in meat, we do have a duty of care that means they deserve a fulfilling life and a quick and painless death. If we won’t provide those things, then slaughtering them for meat is immoral. If we do provide those things, then we do one better than Nature herself. She tends to favour rather bloody, painful and miserable ends …

5 Likes

Me as well, except I chose to skip the guilt part.

Also,…

15 Likes

Does the ethical question depend on an adjudication of sentience or is presence in relationship with an other necessary? Does the second establish the first?

I think yes and yes.

1 Like

Johnny Five is alive!

3 Likes

But Johnny Four is no more!

3 Likes

Our criteria for recognising sentience in others are pretty arbitrary-- fundamentally so, I would say, but certainly in practice. We credit other humans with having their own subjective viewpoint simply because they remind us of ourselves. Some people extend their empathy further, to chimps and dolphins, maybe cows, rarely ants, almost never rocks or gusts of wind; but regardless of where you draw the line, it’s a circle centered around human apes, and that’s a very dubious assumption unless you literally define “sentience” to mean “being a human”. The question of where to draw that line is still important, considering that some people remain undecided about whether it should include, say, women. But it’s not a question that really helps us understand consciousness.

If gusts of wind do have some kind of inner world, it’s fair to say that they’re alien enough that we don’t know how to be nice or mean to them, so it’s ethically moot whether we consider their feelings. I suspect the consciousness of machines would be more on this level.

For example, I doubt robots are “hurt” by being pushed, but perhaps packet collisions make routers experience something like suffering. Who knows? It’s a remarkably flimsy area of science, and I think that’s because no one wants to investigate fields that can only give us more things to feel guilty about.

2 Likes