Sex-robot has "family mode" switch so kids can play with it. Ethicist says it is "profoundly damaging" to children

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/sex-robot-has-family-mode.html

5 Likes

“…the Aristocrats!”

41 Likes

“Sex Robot has G rated mode for when children are around”

Your wife already has this feature.

34 Likes

17 Likes

Now a group of professors have slammed the idea of a family-friendly sex robot as “damaging” for kids.

I posted these links over in The Joy of Missing Out thread but they’re relevant here. I’m increasingly glad I don’t have young children when technologists are so feckless about their mental well-being.

14 Likes

Well, I no longer have to decide what to do for dinner as I’ve lost my appetite. I guess I should thank 2018 for helping me watch my weight.

14 Likes

“Children will imitate machines if brought up by them,” Kathleen Richardson… told New Statesmen.

…without any data or evidence at all.

(also, shouldn’t that be New States man?)

8 Likes

“My foster dad was Mr. Coffee and I turned out just fine!”

26 Likes

“Sex robot damaging to children.”

Lots of different ways to interpret that, I guess.

4 Likes
15 Likes

perhaps I’m missing something. can anyone explain the connection to the HVAC pipes?

4 Likes

Hmm. I can think of reasons it could help a marriage. I can think of ways it could greatly harm a marriage. I am not sure though that the robot teaches kids that women are for sex. It seems it might teach them that robots are for sex and women need not engage in that nasty business because a robot is there. This is a really hard dynamic to completely characterize and predict.

19 Likes

Lesser known mode: Angry step-mom - power inhales cigarettes and flicks the still lit butts at the kids as they walk by.

6 Likes

Yeah…but then I just gain it back because 2018 also makes you want to drink.

3 Likes

That’s why I have Old Glory Insurance. Warning: people denying that robots are a threat may be robots, themselves.

10 Likes

Hmm. Designed as a sex toy, but used as enrichment for children. It’s like when dad hires the hot, young nanny, but in reverse.

22 Likes

Alternately “Sex-robot has ‘family mode’ switch so kids CAN’T play with it.”

Seems like a more acceptable way to phrase it.

13 Likes

It has a reverse?

Now I have lost my appetite too.

4 Likes
13 Likes

Make sure that it’s a human sex-robot.

index

7 Likes