Sex-robot has "family mode" switch so kids can play with it. Ethicist says it is "profoundly damaging" to children

Have i accidentally made my way to The Onion?

8 Likes

I’m not even sure what he is going on about with that Ted talk. Of course a kid is going to be pissed whennyou turn off their entertainment, kind of like an adult would be too. But if a parent is handing their kid a pad / screen for hours at a time with no supervision, yeah that’s not on YouTube for creating a system of linked videos that waste hours of your time while giving you that sweet dopamine release your brain craves…that’s on the parents. Your kid melts down when you take that stimulation away - good, maybe it’ll teach them how to live without a steady 24/7 stimulation input.

And as a disclaimer, yes I have a 4 year old. Yes he watches TV, even YouTube sometimes. He actually got into POV hang gliding videos for a while. But he has limits, we know what he is watching or we watch with him.

For topic sake, dude just needs to masturbate or have a sex toy. I can’t imagine there aren’t deeper problems if you are bringing in a sex robot…

6 Likes

Obvs. Strange. Dude wants strange. My guess anyways.

4 Likes

He makes it clear that the parents are the first line of defense, but the larger point (echoed in the other links and this sex robot story) is that technologists are being very irresponsible and thoughtless about kids when they design and moderate these things.

I know for a fact that a lot of tech moguls understand this to the point that they don’t let their kids use anything except highly locked-down devices and services (sometimes none at all), including their own company’s products. I’d do the same if I had kids (which, disclaimer, I don’t).

6 Likes

“Jane, how do you stop this crazy thing??!!”

19 Likes

We’ve already collectively decided that it’s OK to sell our kids eyeballs to Channel One news. The nag factor for children’s cereal is an accepted part of life… Forget a livable climate or breathable atmosphere. The kids are already fucked as it it, why should a robot rival for mommy’s attention make that much more difference?

3 Likes

Wait - Channel One is still around?

4 Likes

The writeup is completely breathless about how these children are going to be scarred for life because there is a sex doll on the couch, but they’re treating it like a big stuffed animal. I think the professors are more traumatized than the kids.

13 Likes

The HVAC pipes were sexier?

5 Likes

It is shocking what kids get used to and treat as normal. Sometimes with no ill effects.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Sure, you turn the TV channel knob to channel 2, then it’s a special push-pull-twist to get it.

Samantha’s “personality” is powered by an artificial intelligence system that allows her to react to the touch and voice of users and even turn down their advances if she isn’t treated well.

SX425

2 Likes

I think the bigger issue is that the parents can’t get along well enough that a fleshlight is less than sufficient for the guy.

And if they’re going as far as a robot, I’d imagine an actual third person added into the relationship who can help with the kids might be more traditionally workable.

9 Likes

Will no one think of the sex robot?

During her downtime (hmm… more than one way to take that) (hey, same with that, too) she’s going to have kids clambering all over her. When’s she going to get her beauty sleep?

3 Likes

The future’s not truly here until the appliances start humping each other.

beck_sexxlaws-compressed

17 Likes

I woke up this morning in 2018, also.

12 Likes

The polyamory community has a word for attractive bisexual women who are interested in hooking up with a married straight couple, and that word is “unicorn.” I expect they only get more mythical if they’re also willing to play nanny.

21 Likes

Well, generally what I’m thinking of was more along the lines of groups of folks who communally take care of their children. Such arrangements do actually exist.

6 Likes

Misread as Glory Hole Insurance - that’s a must!

3 Likes

OK, but just imagine how you’d feel when you belatedly realized that your dad had been fucking your favorite teddy bear for the last five years.

31 Likes