Is it ok to toss your apple core or banana peel into the woods?

It depends on the banana…

5 Likes

Me too. One of the first really great examples of absurdist internet humor. Plus science!

1 Like

Hayduke lives!

2 Likes

There are youtubers who eat weird fruit. One guy reviewed the osage orange and found it to be… not good. Might be a survival food, but very woody and tasteless.

2 Likes

Compost heap as in just a pile of apple cores and banana peels. I had one in my backyard growing up. No special devices or techniques, just throw everything on the pile.

I’ll admit that I’d find it easier to take the idea that apple cores on the ground is a problem is I lived in a place where apples don’t grow. When there are vast apple orchards within a few km of where you are standing and countless crab apple trees on the way, it’s very hard to think that apples are going to be a problem for the ecosystem.

6 Likes

Ah! Y’all mean horse apples / hedge apples. There are some here in MD; not sure whether they’re native (nor what the local nickname is).

1 Like

I had a tour guide (en route to Tulum) tell me that the Mayans used to have tails, and that he had a vestigial spot at the base of his spine where the Mayan tail used to be. On the same tour he also wove in the LDS account of Jesus Christ’s pre-Columbian visit to the Americas.

4 Likes

Anything to entertain the marks, I suppose…

5 Likes

Maybe that’s my problem… I built a wire cage to hold compost and, when that didn’t seem to have any results after a couple of years, I got a metal trash can, drilled holes all around it, and used that (too). 12-15 years later, some of the contents in either container approximately looks like soil, with visible pieces of ostensibly-compostable-scraps-of-whatever mixed in.

If I’m not doing it wrong then I guess “compostable” is the new “flushable.”

2 Likes

They should start another legend that anyone who removes trash will be blessed by Madame Pele.

5 Likes

We’re trying to do that around here,although slightly different. We have a small Native Hawaiian fishing shrine in front of our library, adjacent to the parking lot. Sometimes people who park in the lot and don’t pay attention get locked in at closing; these same people think nothing of 4-wheeling out over top of the shrine. I have been known to loudly mention at closing that we are not responsible for any bad juju people bring on themselves by being so disrespectful.

2 Likes

Several years ago, I dug a fence post out of our yard that had been set in concrete; the large resulting hole was referred to for some time as ‘da peeg trap’. I started throwing all manner of compostables into it, and turning it over every few months with a pitchfork. The hole is now nearly full, and although there are still some undigested things in it like corn cobs, all but the top 6 inches or so had decomposed.

2 Likes

(apologies for the low resolution)

2 Likes

Osage is sold by the pound rather than the board-foot. I have a lovely cane my husband turned for me. We own a road frontage 350 ft long with beautiful tall osage trees here on Hedge Avenue.

1 Like

When I go into Berkeley with my family now and again (mostly to eat at the ever-yummy Jupiter on Shattuck and to take a nice walk around campus) I park in this handy lot on Addison between Oxford and Shattuck. And there some guy who has lived in the building over the lotfor years who is constantly chucking banana peels into the lot. There are always three or four peels in various states of decomposition. If it were into the soil, I could maybe get it, but it’s right on the asphalt.

I don’t understand the motivation here. He doesn’t chuck out other organics into the lot – it’s not like he’s trying to build a top soil over the asphalt. He just tosses his banana peels. I mean, it’s like the Banana Version of Pissing on a Fire Hydrant. No one asked him, but: Hey, world, there’s a guy up in this here building and I want you to know that he eats bananas and that guy is me.

3 Likes

The decomposition quotes used are really, really cherry-picked. For example, the 2 month apple core? From a document on marine debris. The two years for a banana peel? From an article on hiking in the mountains of Scotland.

8 Likes

Maybe he’s trying to test whether banana peels really are slippery. Or if people really do make that VWIP noise when they slip on one.

5 Likes

Some maintenance helps. We live in the desert, so we water the pile sporadically, turn it once or twice a year, and make a point to mix in some high-cellulose material (hay, weeds, small branch trimmings).

1 Like

I don’t believe the thing about orange peels:

3 Likes

I read that the bananas we eat today are a different breed than in the past (which died out due to a fungus) and their peels WERE a lot more slippery after a day or so.

4 Likes