Just look at these boneless bananas

[Permalink]

1 Like

I dunno, those all look prettyā€¦ happy to see you.

Just look at this banana promotional film. (Unsliced banana film available here: https://archive.org/details/AboutBan1935)

I just hope they are discarding all the banana bones in a safe and environmentally sound way.

Once removed from the banana, the banana bone is highly toxic and radioactive, with a half-life of 23 squintillion years.

1 Like

Theyā€™re also rBGH-free!

You can never be sure

8 Likes

Whereā€™s the fun in that?

in tagalog, ā€œseedā€ and ā€œboneā€ translate to the same word: ā€œbutoā€, so i have, in my youth, been guilty of making the same type of mistake ā€“ though never with a banana.

3 Likes

not so boneless are they

3 Likes

Wow. Thatā€™s a spookily captivating image. Is it an actual x-ray of the structure of the banana we are generally familiar with? Or is it a shop of a sardine skeleton (or whatever) superimposed on the 'nana?

I donā€™t know of any plants that actually do; most of them seem to lean on cellulose for structural applications; but my laymanā€™s understanding provides no obvious reason why a plant couldnā€™t incorporate some calcified support structuresā€¦

Any plant-ologists know either of some oddball that does or some architectural or evolutionary constraint that rules it out?

Well you see, plant cells metabolize calcium through a cellular transport mechanism that Iā€™m just totally making this up.

3 Likes

Probably depends what you mean by a ā€˜support structureā€™. Some plants certainly contain calcium oxalate crystals large (and sharp) enough to break the skin of potential predators.

Others (especially grasses) deposit silica in their tissues, which may be for support. It also wears away the teeth of their predators, which is why cowsā€™ teeth grow continually.

1 Like

Of course bone-in bananas have more flavor.

2 Likes

As funny as this is, bananas in the wild have hard seeds. Maybe this is what they are trying to say.

I donā€™t know about you all, but Iā€™d be really perturbed if a banana that I was eating had an actual bone in it.

Didnā€™t think the warning was necessary, but still a good thing to know.

I would guess the main reason is just that vascular plants developed on land, where thereā€™s a much better supply of carbon dioxide for organic compounds like cellulose and lignin than of minerals.

Minerals are easier to come by in the water, which is of course where vertebrates first developed bones. And in the sea you do get cases like coralline algae that have calcified cell walls, although they need it more for protection than support.

I donā€™t know, Iā€™m getting a banana just looking at themā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.