Is Oprah going to run for President?

Something like that, yeah. It was mostly him and Michelle downplaying that, while not extravagantly wealthy, his stepdad Lolo had serious family connections and a cushy job in the Indonesian oil industry, and his grandparents in Hawaii were certainly comfortable enough, with his maternal grandmother as a VP at a Hawaiian bank and a grandfather “in sales” (can’t really find out much else there easily).

Not a child of massive wealth like so many in politics, but definitely hovering in that upper-upper-middle to lower-upper class that generates so many high-achievers because time and money are plentiful to invest in your kids.

4 Likes

Our office cat is presidential, in comparison.

5 Likes

The Trumps would love for Oprah to run; they think she’d lose just by being Black and a woman.

1 Like

Also Dr. Phil

1 Like

An “adventure” which she helped to realize and that cost (hundred)thousands of lives - but they were brown foreigners so probably don’t count eh?

… and a war criminal.

Klaus Barbie was a loving father and good conversionalist too I heard.

7 Likes

We may have an electorate that now punishes accomplishment.

If you get elected to office and work hard to pass legislation, that legislation will inevitably upset someone, and that legislative change will be cited as evidence of your stupidity and malice.

But the television star never did anything like that. The television star never let you down, voted for a bill you didn’t like and never accepted a compromise that you find disappointing. They’re a blank slate that you can project your ideal upon.

4 Likes

In hindsight and given the current context, that woman-groping son-of-an-ex-Nazi* comes off as a respectable elder statesman.

*Thanks, The Simpsons!

5 Likes

Even better. They are an already popular blank slate. They’ve already proved they can appeal to the voters.

2 Likes

More accurately, we have an electorate that increasingly, and for good reason, punishes governmental experience. Trump won largely on distrust of “the swamp”, aka everyone in the government under Obama, and in his first year has made the government the most horrendously corrupt and distrustful one on record. It’s not surprising that people keep looking elsewhere for someone to inspire them.

2 Likes

Yes, my worry is that in the past she has promoted psudo science and would probably enrage the right much like Obama did by existing. Not sure if I’m strong enough for the 2nd.

I don’t think another celebrity president is helpful, especially since I think Oprah could accomplish much more just by doing what she’s always been doing.

1 Like

Pants? Who even has pants?

Al Franken
Bill Bradley
Jim Bunning
Jesse Ventura
Clint Eastwood
Sonny Bono
Fred Grandy
Fred Thompson

I think we tend to only remember the bad ones.

1 Like

Nope, not her. She’s either conniving or gullible. Look at all the health hoaxes and faith healers and pseudo “doctors” she has had on her show promoting endless nostrums and “celebrity diet of the week” cr*p. She’s helped con as many people out of their savings as Trump ever did and probably ruined any number of people’s health or mental well being with all the fakery.

As others have said, I don;t want yet another billionaire insulated from reality at all times in charge of things.

Find out who wrote her speech, they may be the one you want running. :slight_smile:

Do you really want someone like Deepak Chopra as Surgeon General?

“November 20th marked the conclusion of Oprah & Deepak’s 21-Day Meditation Experience, Making Every Moment Matter. Hundreds of thousands from around the world meditated daily, activating a global wave of transformation, profound peace, and deep fulfillment.”

I sure don’t recall any surge of profound peace being announced worlwide, do you?

8 Likes

Yeah, “politician” has always flirted with being a dirty word, but now more than ever. People don’t seem to realize it describes the actual job and the skill-set required to do that job. People draw the parallels of the absurdity of choosing a doctor who knows nothing about medicine. It’s true that an ideal doctor (and president, really) is - like Oprah - affable, empathetic, a good listener, an easy learner, articulate, smart and analytical. But we seem to have confused the things that will make them better at the job with the job itself.

So are many inanimate objects, frankly. At least they’re incapable of being actively shitty.

6 Likes

Yes… and no.

I still believe that my toilet bowl brush is also more presidential.

6 Likes

Well exactly - it helps clean things up, rather than actively making a mess.

5 Likes

Encouraging! I shall now discuss campaign strategy with my brush. This is gonna work!

4 Likes

“Toilet Brush 2020: Cleaning this shit up” (etc.)
I’d vote for that over Trump any day.

9 Likes

Another Obama in the white House? What are you a big fan of extrajudicial drone murder and the espionage act being used to quash dissent?